PDA

View Full Version : Gauri the Tigress of Bandipur

Praveen Siddannavar
07-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Shot this Tigress on Friday the 5th Feb'10 @ 6:17pm under low light.

About ~15 months ago Gauri gave birth to 4 cubs, 2 males and 2 females. For past over a year she has been frequently seen out in the open with all her 4 cubs, most of the visitors to Bandipur have seen this family during the last year. Unfortunately I was not so lucky to photograph her along with the cubs. I believe the cubs are now on their own since one month, I understand the cubs are quite healthy and especially the males are quite huge, its a good sign.

On Friday I was lucky to sight Gauri near a water hole known at KM Katte, it was past 6pm and the light was fading fast. I had to bump the iso to 1250 to 1600 to get shutter speed of 1/30 to 1/40. To make things worst there were too many obstructions while shooting this tigress. Gauri seemed very thirsty and was quenching her thirst; another drama at this scene was a tusker grazing in the bamboo bushes without giving any warning charged at Gauri. Gauri seemed quite calm and disappeared in the under growth. We tried to move ahead to check if she would cross the man made track but she did not turn up. After waiting for 10 mins we drove back again to the water hole and to our surprise Gauri was back & drinking water. She was visible with naked eye however we were unable to photograph now as it was already dark.

I am happy that I managed few shots; it’s always a pleasure to sight tigers in Bandipur, very special to me.

Camera Model Canon EOS 40D, 100-400mm
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/40
Av( Aperture Value ) 5.6
ISO 1250
Focal length 400mm
Full frame, No Crop & Handhed

Sabyasachi Patra
07-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Lovely. I like the pose and eye contact. The vegetation on both sides is fine, and gives us the feeling of a sneak preview. :D I wish you could have seen it in better light. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
07-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Beautiful pose and eye contact. You captured the action nicely. The reflection is interesting. The vegetation gives the idea about its habitat. Thanks for sharing the information. Always a pleasure to see tiger photographs :).

Mohan Raj
07-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Praveen, It is a very nice photograph. Tiger drinking water at a very low posture. It is hard a to spot a Tiger when it goes so low (one foot high from the ground) amidst the undergrowth.

Abhishek Jamalabad
07-02-2010, 08:32 PM
I love this image. Nice pose. It is sharp for a hand held shot at 1/40. The noise at ISO 1250 is not very significant. I love the way the out-of-focus vegetation frames the tiger. The fact that it is a full-frame image makes it even better. :)
TFS.

Atul Dhamankar
07-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Fantastic shot.

Anuradha Nautiyal
07-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Praveen,

This is a fabulous image.. I just loved the pose and eye contact. I have never seen this pose ever before.. Wonderful

Waiting to see some more
Anu

Narasimha Swamy T R
07-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Praveen,

This is a great image. Last year I went twice to Bandipur when I heard about 5 tigers together but was not lucky to see them. Thanks a lot for sharing this and also for the explanation.

Bibhav Behera
10-02-2010, 02:31 PM
I like the composition. A bit more details would have been nice. Thanks for sharing.