PDA

View Full Version : Mark IV - ISO 100

Sabyasachi Patra
07-02-2010, 02:17 PM
I have earlier posted some high ISO shots from the Canon EOS 1D Mark IV. Yesterday, I tried the lower ISOs. Here is one image.

This pelican was swimming peacefully. Suddenly it picked this up, threw it in the air and spliced it up with its beak. It happened within two seconds. I am happy that I could catch the peak moment.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV, Canon EF 400mm f2.8 L IS USM, EF 2xII, ISO 100, 1/320, full frame image.

Look forward to your comments and critiques.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
07-02-2010, 05:32 PM
That's a nice moment captured. The stick in the mid air and the water droplets tell the story. Maybe a slight higher ISO would have captured the falling water droplets as well. Lovely head turn and eye contact. Liked the details on the features. Thanks for sharing.

Abhishek Jamalabad
07-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Lovely capture, nice details. Why do you think it did this?
TFS

Praveen Siddannavar
07-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Lovely image and actioned captured Sabyasachi, the details have come out well.
tfs

Sabyasachi Patra
07-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Abhishek,
The pelican was 28.70 meters away. The pelican was swimming slowly and coming close to me. Suddenly it picked and tossed it up. It was a kind of harmless flick or toss like we do at times. Though a few pelicans were trying to pull nesting material, I won't say that this pelican was looking for nesting material. It soon flew away.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Anuradha Nautiyal
07-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Hi Sabyasachi .. lovely image ..love the moment captured by you .. the details on the eye,beak and feathers have come out really well. Maybe you can add a little brightness.

Where did you shoot this ?

TFS
Anu

Sabyasachi Patra
07-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Anuradha,
This is in a small village in Andhra, about 100kms from Chennai. Pelicans have long beaks. It is important to capture the beak as well as the eye. So depth of field has to be sufficient.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Bibhav Behera
10-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Lovely action captured Sabyasachi. The mk IV is one Big mean fighting machine :D

Jitendra Katre
13-02-2010, 01:11 PM
nice image.
what was the aperture used to keep the whole bird in focus?

Sabyasachi Patra
14-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Dr Katre,
The aperture was f11. No idea how I missed mentioning it in the original post.

I was rooted to one spot for about five hours. The patience paid off when I got this image. Routine birders and photographers move on in search of a different species. Waiting helps as you get to observe some nice and rarely observed behaviour. I am happy that you all liked this.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Pradeep Bhilotra
22-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Mind blowing action captured! I have no complaints about anything........