PDA

View Full Version : demoiselle crane

Rakesh Sharma
10-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Anthropoides virgo
demoiselle crane
Kurjaa

Generally, cranes are large birds, ranging from a length of 90 cm to 150 cm. Anthropoides virgo is known to be the smallest crane, with an average adult length of 90 cm. Cranes are recognized for their long necks and legs, their streamlined bodies, and long rounded wings. Demoiselle cranes can be distinguished by specific physical features and other unique characteristics. Most cranes have bare, red skin patches on their heads, however, demoiselles have a completely feathered head with a white line that extends from the corner of their red eye, to the back of their head. During display, they can elongate these feathers on the sides of their head. With feathery gray areas ranging from the crown to the nape, the bird has a dark underside, with black legs and toes. The main distinguishing features of A. virgo are their short toes and bills. Adapting to run in the grassland habitat, the toes have evolved to be shorter, as the shorter bills can forge for food more efficiently in upland areas. The length and positioning of the trachea can also distinguish a demoiselle crane from other cranes; Demoiselles have a trachea that makes a slight indentation on the sternum.
After hatching, demoiselle chicks are silver gray, and as they develop into a juvenile demoiselle, they become predominately Grey at the time of fledging. This color assists in camouflaging the bird. Once developing into an adult, they appear as previously described above. An important fact about A. virgo is that the male and female are mono morphic - identical in their external features; however, the males are usually larger.
Demoiselles kurja migratory birds, fly at high altitudes, travel long distances., v shape Anthropoides virgo collect into flocks migrate fly, their head neck extended straight forward feet legs lengthened behind. wintering grounds India 'krok-krok' calls trumpet sound

Bibhav Behera
10-02-2010, 03:01 PM
This is a nice image. More space overall would have been better. The pano crop feels a bit tight. Thanks for sharing.

Anuradha Nautiyal
10-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Hi Rakesh,

Nice capture and quite informative too. I agree with Bibhav , the crop looks a bit tight especially from the top

TFS
Anu

Mohan Raj
11-02-2010, 02:38 AM
The birds and the reflections are fine. I agree with the crop. May be a larger picture would be nice.

Was this bird name Kurjaa related to Gujjars in Rajasthan?
Rakesh, TFS the information and photograph.

Mrudul Godbole
11-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Nice composition. The reflection adds to the image. Some more space on top would be good. The pano crop looks good. Thanks for the detailed information. Look forward to more.

Sabyasachi Patra
11-02-2010, 07:51 PM
I agree that the details might be visible in a larger print. I would like slightly more space at the top. Thanks for the information.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi