PDA

View Full Version : Flocking behavior in indian mainas birds

Rakesh Sharma
11-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Flocking behavior
Flocking behavior is the behavior exhibited when a group of birds, called a flock, are foraging or in flight. There are parallels with the shoaling behavior of fish, the swarming behavior of insects, and herd behavior of land animals.
birds also flock together because there is safety in numbers and smaller birds working together can fight off larger birds, as well as enjoy the economic and efficient aerodynamic advantage. Of course very strong birds of prey do not need to flock together because they have the strength and agility on their own to protect themselves. Likewise they are generally adapted hunters and can easily get a meal to give them more energy anytime they are hungry.
Some of the reasons birds flock together and other birds do not flock has to do with Evolution and Breeding. The stronger birds will survive and be able to feed their offspring better because they are better hunters and their offspring will grow up stronger and pass on those genes more often.
Smaller weak birds which do not flock together may not survive to have offspring because they will become a larger bird's meal. Smaller birds that flock together and use the herd mentality to protect themselves have a better chance of having more offspring and more mates to choose from.
A flock is a group of birds conducting flocking behavior in flight, or while foraging. The term is akin to the herd amongst mammals. The benefits of aggregating in flocks are varied and flocks will form explicitly for specific purposes. Flocking also has costs, particularly to socially subordinate birds, which are bullied by more dominant birds; birds may also sacrifice feeding efficiency in a flock in order to gain other benefits. The principal benefits are safety in numbers and increased foraging efficiency. Defense against predators is particularly important in closed habitats such as forests where predation is often by ambush and early warning provided by multiple eyes is important, this has led to the development of many mixed-species feeding flocks.

Flocking rules
Basic models of flocking behavior are controlled by three simple rules:
Separation - avoid crowding neighbors (short range repulsion)
Alignment - steer towards average heading of neighbors
Cohesion - steer towards average position of neighbors (long range attraction)

With these three simple rules, the flock moves in an extremely realistic way, creating complex motion and interaction that would be extremely hard to create otherwise.

Rakesh Sharma
11-02-2010, 02:20 PM
http://http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2748/4152787481_2e7fc3a04e_o.jpg

Rakesh Sharma
11-02-2010, 02:20 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2748/4152787481_2e7fc3a04e_o.jpg

Bibhav Behera
11-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Thanks for sharing the info Rakesh. The image is nice, but is underexposed. Thanks for sharing.

Rakesh Sharma
11-02-2010, 02:42 PM
dear bibhav
thanks for your prompt reply
but the cause is it to underexpose is that the flying flock always set on after the sunsetting
when sun is completely set down then these maina troops come from different direction and get together to make a flock and so many small and tiny flocks will amalgamated each other and form a huge one
tha technacally light is so poor and flying movement requires at least 250 speed of shutter
if i prefers such speed no photo come in existence
if i lower down the speed the shake and blurred image found
i make it a video that was a fine and amazing but it is of 225 MB
can i submit it to forum
OR ONLY THE PHOTOGRAPHS be posted here
i have another small flock photographs of some soothing light condition
how can i submit more then two at a time
kindly guide me

Bibhav Behera
11-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Hi Rakesh,
You can post the 2nd image as a reply and include it in the attachment...

Mrudul Godbole
11-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Hi Rakesh,

Beautiful behaviour captured. Looks like thousands of birds in the flock. The information posted is very informative. Wish for a more natural skyline.

There is a limit of only 2 images in 24 hours in this section. You can post more than 2 images per post in the 'Natural History' section, which is for discussing animal or bird behaviour.

Look forward to know more. Thanks for sharing.

Praveen Siddannavar
12-02-2010, 08:20 AM
nicely captured, i have never seen such a large flock

AB Apana
12-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Nice image, agree about the underexposure. The information was also useful but please acknowledge the source.

Thanks,

Apana