PDA

View Full Version : Adani Mining Project

Neil Mehta
11-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Hello,
Does any one have any detailed info on the mining project which was proposed near Tadoba Tiger Reserve in Maharashtra ?

Sabyasachi Patra
14-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Neil,
I was told that there is significant opposition to this project from local people, NGOs and politicians. I hear Maneka Gandhi too has voiced her opposition to the project and has written to the Prime Minister.
If the power project comes up, then it would decimate the wildlife and Tadoba. I have seen the ill effects of Power Projects on the health of common man. The entire place is likely to be devastated.
In most of the cases the Environment Impact Assessment is a joke. However, in this case there is lot of scrutiny as the biodiversity of this area is well documented. The mining lease is supposed to be for 1750 hectres out of which more than 90 % is forest land. I am not sure, how it can be allowed.

Aditya Panda
15-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Hello,
Does any one have any detailed info on the mining project which was proposed near Tadoba Tiger Reserve in Maharashtra ?

Hope this helps: http://www.savetadoba.org/

Regards,
Aditya

Neil Mehta
16-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Thanks Aditya. The latest issue of Sanctuary Asia has an article " Mining in Tigerland" which gives comprehensive information about he projects and its ill effects on nature.

Aditya Panda
17-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Thanks Aditya. The latest issue of Sanctuary Asia has an article " Mining in Tigerland" which gives comprehensive information about he projects and its ill effects on nature.

You're welcome Neil. Are you talking about the December issue of Sanctuary? I'm yet to get my hands on it. Good to know it was published. I was fearing there would be no December issue as the Awards were postponed to Jan 29th.

Pavan Kumar Kamaraju
18-12-2008, 07:38 PM
No diversion of a Protected Area (PA) can be done without the prior concurrence of Supreme Court of India. Supreme Court would permit such diversion only after a detailed examination of the diversion proposal by the Central Empowered Committee constituted by the Supreme Court in W.P.202/1995, and the National Board for Wildlife, both of which undertake inspections of the area in question, and furnish their remarks to the Supreme Court. While the National Board for Wildlife is a body of officials and N.G.O.s chaired by the Prime Minister himself, the CEC is an autonomous body reporting to none but the Supreme Court. Thus, diversion of wildlife areas for mining or otherwise, has been virtually taken out of the domain of the Executive, and put under the watchful eyes of the Supreme Court.

For more details on environmental litigation, people fighting on this front, and the decisions of Supreme Court on various wildlife, forest and environmental issues, visit <www.forestcaseindia.org>.

Mrudul Godbole
06-12-2009, 03:06 PM
NAGPUR: In a major set back to the Adani Power Group and Maharashtra Coal Company, the highlevel appraisal committee set up by the ministry of
environment and forest has rejected their coal mining proposal in Lohara and Lohara east blocks respectively, near the Tadoba Andhari tiger reserve (TATR) in Chandrapur district.

The committee, in its meeting held on November 24, withdrew the Terms of Reference (TOR) granted to both the companies effectively ending their quest for environmental clearance for the project. Without that the mining projects cannot commence. The TORs were granted to the company last year. The Adani mining project is proposed at a distance of 12 km from boundary of Tadoba tiger reserve while Maharashtra Coal Company project is at 10 km. Both are within the proposed buffer zone of the reserve.

Ever since the controversial proposal was submitted to the centre, green activists led by Bandu Dhotre had launched an agitation, as a result, union minister for environment Jairam Ramesh had to step in and assure the local residents that no permission will be granted to the projects unless his ministry studies the proposal thoroughly. In fact, even the state forest department too had submitted a comprehensive report stating that if permission was granted then it will have an adverse impact on the forest as well as wild life.

Civil aviation minister Praful Patel had taken a lead in setting up the power project in Gondia, his home town. Then Patel had taken the view that while protection of environment is important, at the same time, industrial development too was equally important. "`We are facing acute shortage of power, under such circumstances, we need more power projects in the state,’’ Patel had said.

Link - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Panel-no-to-Adani-mine-near-Tadoba/articleshow/5298255.cms