PDA

View Full Version : Shikra Male

Bibhav Behera
20-02-2010, 08:27 AM
Today, I started off birding and ended it at the same place. Got a single shot of a single bird, that too in campus. I saw a Shikra being chased by two Greater Coucals. This Shikra came quite close and perched on a branch right above me and gave me this beautiful stare. Could squeeze only a couple of shots before the coucals were back... Wonder what this guy did, to deserve this treatment... Or maybe there is a coucal nest somewhere nearby :D

That was all for the day as it was extremely foggy and couldn't get anything else where I actually go birding... :)

This image is Full frame.

Here it is
Canon EOS 1000D, Canon EF 300mm F4L IS USM
SS 1/200 (-1/3 EC)
F 4
ISO 400

I didnt want to mess it up, hence I took at f4 and -1/3 EC to get better shutter speed. Also used fill flash.

Comments and Critiques welcome.

AB Apana
20-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Good job on the exposure. But we need to check the ID as the barring seems very heavy.

Apana

Mrudul Godbole
20-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Nice image. You got it nicely in the given conditions. Wish the background was not so cluttered. You could have tried for an off-centred composition. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
20-02-2010, 06:56 PM
It is not easy to use flash. In cluttered conditions, flash often result in shadows and increased distractions. Better to dial negative compensation to the flash. Also, remember to set the camera to second curtain sync for flash. If there is any movement, you will get the trails behind. In case of first curtain sync, you will get the trails/blurred area infront of the subject.

I think vertical would have been better here.

Abhishek Jamalabad
20-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Great shot. Well exposed. What was the flash EV compensation?

Bibhav Behera
20-02-2010, 10:25 PM
The compensation was 0. I am yet to figure out how to set it. The system is quite different from nikon.