PDA

View Full Version : Topsy turvy...

Bibhav Behera
05-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Just back from Kuldiha Wildlife Sanctuary. Was great fun observing these Giant Squirrels. There were close to 15-20 of them around the area near the Forest Rest House and it was awesome fun to observe their behaviour. One could go pretty close as you can see from this image.
This is full frame. Didn't want to shoot ISO 800 but wanted this shot so went ahead... Comments and Critiques welcome...

Canon EOS 1000D, Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM,
SS 1/250 (+0.3)
F 6.3
ISO 800

Abhishek Jamalabad
05-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Nice compo. Nice portrayal of the habitat. The inclusion of the entire tail is good. At ISO 800, the amount of noise isn't too much (at least in a full frame image), the image looks quite usable. Wish the light were better. Haven't you cropped along the breadth?

Bibhav Behera
05-03-2010, 10:07 PM
No. This is full frame. The noise is visible near the tail (ie in blacks at 100%). At 800 pixels its decently salvageable... :)

Sabyasachi Patra
06-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Were you handholding or using a monopod? A lower ISO would have been good.

Good to know that you had a great time with these fellows. Most of the times, barring a few exceptions, in the forests in the South we find them far away.

I like the pose. A slightly higher contrast would be good. Ofcourse, that would result in the tail portion getting darker. A few leaves are cut on the top portion of the frame. Slightly lowering the camera, would have helped in removing those. It would have been great without the prominent out of focus green leaf at the lower one thirds position. Overall, its nice. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Bibhav Behera
06-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Hi Sabyasachi,
This guy in a moment climbed down and sat down close. My monopod wasn't with me at that moment sadly, so handheld :( . So I went for a higher ISO and intermediate DOF.

Mrudul Godbole
07-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Nice pose. Liked the eye contact. Agree about the ISO. Thanks for sharing.