PDA

View Full Version : Solitary Reaper

Bibhav Behera
09-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Shot this one near Devi River mouth recently. There were ones closer but this composition appealed to me. A lower angle was not possible here. Comments and Critiques welcome.

This will be my last post in a while as I'm off to Bangalore and Goa holidaying for a few days with friends as my college got over... Im off day after...
See you guys on the 20th.

Canon EOS 1000D, Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM
SS 1/500
F 6.3
ISO 800 (Forgot to change ISO :()

Mrudul Godbole
10-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Hi Bibhav,

I dont think the title conveys the meaning of the image.
I feel there is lot of space on top, which is taking the attention away from the subject. It would have been good if the bird was walking into the frame. Images where the subject is facing or moving away from the frame doesnt work as they say, eye is the soul of the person.

It would have been good if there was something more in the image which would attract and hold the viewers attention.

Enjoy your holidays, look forward to see some amazing landscapes from Goa :).

Abhishek Jamalabad
10-03-2010, 01:42 PM
I like the space here, but agree that the egret should have been walking into the frame. The distorted reflection looks nice. Not sure, but are the whites on the back blown?

Enjoy your holidays... Not sure where in Goa you will be staying, but if you get a chance to visit the interior regions of Goa (i.e. the ghats), do so... those parts are TEEMING with wildlife.

Sabyasachi Patra
10-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Bibhav,
I agree that images with subject facing away from the frame doesn't work. However, I have experimented several times in the past to break that rule. In this particular case, however, I am not sure what you were trying to convey. At times an image hold our interest, due to the early morning colours. In this case, the colours are also not interesting.

A lower angle would not have made any difference here.

Keep on trying.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Bibhav Behera
10-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Thanks all for your comments. Will keep them in mind next time. The whites are in control on the back. We are going to Goa in a huge group, so not sure if i can sneak away much this time... Lets see :)