PDA

View Full Version : Pygmy Elephant Spotted at Peppara,Trivandrum

V S Sankar
20-03-2010, 07:41 AM
Great news.Pygmy Elephants are spotted again at Peppara near Trivandrum!

As you know Pygmy elephants are known to exist only in the forests of Borneo.Any claim of its existence in the Agastyavanam Biosphere reserve of Kerala was always disputed(Peppara is part of this biosphere).

Today's Malayala Manorama news paper carries an article of spotting one male Pygmy elephant in the Peppara Dam.It appeared for a moment at first and diappeared but again came back after one hour.A photographer from Pathanamthitta (Mr.Ajantha Benny was the lucky one) along with the local tribal guide Mallan Kani spotted the Pygmy on Wednesday afternoon when the elephant came for drinking some water.

I have gone to these forests many times but never spotted one.To be frank many dont believe that such elephants exist here.But the mere thought of spotting a Pygmy elephant makes the adrenalin pump heavily and keeps you very agile while trekking these forests.

It was 5 years ago that the same Mallan Kani helped photographer Sali Palode to spot a pygmy elephant.An article appered in the Sactuary magazine at that time.

But many disputed that claim and said that it was in reality only the normal elephant.

I am not sure what is going to happen now!But it is going to be interesting for sure.

Please click on the following link to read the online article.The link is the Malayalam version(I couldn't find the English one for the time being).Those who cant read Malayalam can at least see the photograph of the Pygmy elephant.

http://mymanorama.manoramaonline.com/cgi-bin/MMOnline.dll/portal/ep/malayalamContentView.do?articleType=Malayalam%20Ne ws&contentId=6932566&contentType=EDITORIAL&BV_SessionID=@@@@0334122992.1269051705@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccddadejmdgjkdlcefecfikdghodgim.0

Regards
V S Sankar

Tiger Ramesh
22-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Hi Shankar. Is this real?? if yes, it is very exciting.