PDA

View Full Version : Which Lens would you never sell?

Ranbir Mahapatra
22-03-2010, 02:56 PM
lenses are an integral if not critical part of the way you compose your image.

The sheer variety of lenses available is mind boggling. The marco, micro, fish eye, telephoto, super telephoto etc etc...

But which lens do you love? which lens would you never sell?

and why?

Bibhav Behera
22-03-2010, 04:36 PM
I would never sell the 300mm F4L IS. The thing is a gem. Even if I upgrade to a bigger glass, I would still retain it for its Image Quality, Speed, Intermediate Reach and its versatility in accepting Teleconverters, not to mention the Image Stabilisation.

Mrudul Godbole
22-03-2010, 06:41 PM
I have been using the Canon 100-400mm L lens for last 2 years and that lens sure gives a wide range and the perfect sharpness. It is ideal for hand holding and easy to carry.

You can do a good amount of mammal and bird photography with the range available.
It sure is one perfect lens which you can start on till you are comfortable and sure of buying more lenses for your specific needs.

I will definitely use it for many more years to come :).

Sabyasachi Patra
22-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Good question.

I have bought and sold my camera, lenses several times without any emotion. Frankly speaking, perhaps the need to buy new equipment had forced me to sell off my equipment that had given me some degree of success or recognition.

I have tried a lot of third party lenses as well, starting from wide angle, to standard, intermediate and tele lenses. The Canon L series lenses have given me some nice moments, primarily the 70-200 f2.8 IS, 300 f4 IS and ofcourse the 400 f2.8 IS.

I sell off lenses that are no longer used frequently, either due to change in style or due to availability of similar focal length etc. Also, the problem in carrying equipment in flights severely restricts the usage.

I will buy whatever equipment I require. Hopefully, I can afford. Having said that, most of these lenses are much better than the photographer. These lenses will last a long time to come. Hopefully, I will be using my 400 f2.8 happily for a long time. :-)

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Ranbir Mahapatra
23-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Probably the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS is a lens I would retain for a very very long time.

The lens is extremely light weight and portable, has a reasonably wide focal length, can take sharp images and is highly versatile - can be used for variety of themes - wildlife (with some limitations) as well as others.

And last but not the least at below 10k, its a steal!