PDA

View Full Version : Closer to the Oreole

Rajan Kanagasabai
07-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Dear Sabyasachi

I am getting nearer to your prophecy (below) of a closer shot at the Oreole, without the TX. At Chidambaram, i had a chance to get a shot at this one perched on the same neem tree as the Myna.

Canon EF 100 - 400 L, No TX, 400D, 1/800 and the dreaded F11.

Your voice rang on my head and i switched to F6.3. Looked up and it was gone . . . .!! Maybe next time, a little more closer as well.

Rajan

-------(Your Earlier Quote) ------------
Rajan,
I marvel at your ingenuity in using support systems. :D

It is always tough to catch a golden oriole. They are fast. So focussing has to be fast and precise. You need to catch it closer, without the 2x and with higher shutter speed. I am sure someday you would show us a close up. Good Luck

Sabyasachi Patra
07-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Dear Rajan,
Good to see that you are got the Oriole closer. It is very fast and difficult to take a shot. I will be happy if you can get it perched on a lower branch. Normally, the pleasing images are when the bird is perched or flying at an angle of about 15-20 degrees. Made your life difficult? ;)

Remember that we improve everyday. So you will get the shot one day or other.

For these small birds, a higher shutter speed is required. So it is better to use the lowest possible aperture, in your case f5.6 in your 100-400 lens.

For birds in similar lighting try using the shutter priority mode and set the shutter speed at atleast 1/1600 and then see what happens. Try to focus the bird and catch it in flight. It will be fun.