PDA

View Full Version : Indian Giant Squirrel

Bibhav Behera
10-04-2010, 03:04 PM
This was shot last month in Kuldiha Wildlife Sanctuary in Orissa.

I was shooting a couple of them fighting in the dark forest floor when this guy suddenly came on a branch close to me. Didn't have time to change the ISO and the Aperture :(. This guy later jumped into the fight and the scuffle continued.

Canon EOS 1000D, Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM, full frame, handheld
SS 1/800
F 4 :(
ISO 800 :(

Messed up the techs in this image. But still the scene was great to observe. Funny in some sorts even... :)
Comments and Critiques welcome.

Do you find the leaf on the right distracting? When I checked the histogram in RAW, the histogram was without blown highlights and clipped blacks (just a bit near the tail). However on converting to JPEG, I can see that the histogram has changed. Is it because of the compression?

Sabyasachi Patra
10-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Bibhav,
Is this a big crop? Less contrast would be better. When you convert to jpeg, if you increase the contrast, the highlights will get blown. Check the white portion in the head. Which AF point did you use? The focus seems to be in the plane containing the top branch and the squirrels hind leg. The head is slightly ahead of the focus plane.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Bibhav Behera
10-04-2010, 07:49 PM
This is full frame Sabyasachi. You are right about the head. I had referred to the highlights in the patch in the head also (forgot to mention) :)
I left the contrast at the default level (25). I believe this looks contrasty as half of it was in the light and half in the shade. This is pretty much out of the RAW image.

I used the central AF point (as always). It has focussed on the bark. Actually user error rather than that of the AF of the camera :D

Praveen Siddannavar
11-04-2010, 10:15 AM
It would have been nice if the Squirrel moved up a little you could have got it in light and the image would have been stunning.
tfs

Abhishek Jamalabad
11-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Agree about the patch on the head. I like this image nevertheless. I don't find the leaf too distracting.

Mrudul Godbole
11-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Agree with the above comments. Wish the eye contact was bit more. Thanks for sharing.