PDA

View Full Version : Another Sunset Shot

Subramanya Shankar
11-04-2010, 09:05 AM
This is another sunset shot taken at paradise beach gokarna.
EXIF Details
Camera: Canon 40d
Lens: 10-22mm
ISO:100
Aperture:f/29
Shutter:1/60
EV:-2.00
Note: There were a couple of dust marks, which i have cloned out using photoshop

Bibhav Behera
11-04-2010, 09:29 AM
The placement of the sun in the frame is nice. The narrow aperture has ensured a nice sunburst. The horizon is dividing the image into 2 halves. Including more of the sea would have been better as there are no other points of interest in the sky other than the sun. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
11-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Nice scene. Agree that the horizon has been dissceted into two halves. Slight crop from the bottom to remove the dark band with no details would strengthen the image. Alternately, you can also crop a bit from the top.

In competitions like BBC, minor cleaning work like dust spot removal is allowed. The reasoning is the dust spot is there in the sensor and not part of the scene you are recording. Cloning to remove dust spots is ok.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Subramanya Shankar
11-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Hi Sabyasachi

The dust spots were present on the lens filter, which i diidnt clean them. Since we were at the sea the entire evening, a few particles were sticking to the filter.

Sabyasachi Patra
11-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Subramanya,
It would sound tough. But it would be better if you don't use any uv filter along with the lens. Click and then attach the lens cap immediately. A bit of discipline, but that will enhance the quality. The filters are never going to be as good as your lens. Ofcourse, one needs to use a graduated neutral density filter, polariser etc. But can always avoid the uv filter.

There are still a few dots near the sun towards the right in the image.

Subramanya Shankar
11-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Sabyasachi

Agreed the uv filters dont do justice to the image. Also may i know how much will a gnd filter like cokin would cost, so that i can invest in a gnd rather than a uv filter. If u can suggest a good polarizer / gnd filter which can replace my uv filter, it would be helpful

Mrudul Godbole
11-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Lovely scene. The waves are nicely freezed. Agree with the above comments. Thanks for sharing.