PDA

View Full Version : Sub Adult Tigress!

Praveen Siddannavar
13-04-2010, 09:22 PM
This image is created at Ranthambhore last month, we had spent quite sometime with this tigress. She was peacefully resting in front of our Gypsy & we were busy photographing her.

A Sadhu at distance was walking towards us, we never noticed it and only realized when this tigress all of sudden was alert and took position as if she will attack. Sadhuji never noticed the tigress and continued to walk towards us/tigress, the tigress immediately rushed towards the bushes and again was so alert as if she will launch an attack.

We immediately asked the driver to drive forward and provided cover to Sadhuji, however he was not bothered nor scared about a tiger being close by. Later I also heard that these Sadhu's generally are not scared of Tigers but are more worried about Sloth Bears. It seems a Sloth Bear had attacked a Sadhuji a week ago and unfortunately died due to severe injuries.

Camera Model Canon EOS 40D, 100-400mm
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/200
Av( Aperture Value ) 7.1
ISO 400
Focal length 190mm
Full frame & Hand held

V S Sankar
13-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Very interesting story.India is such a difficult country to understand even for Indians!
I dont now why a tiger is not interested in human flesh thatn a sloth bear!...

Sabyasachi Patra
13-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Lovely. I like the pose. Slight space below would have been even better.

It is not about human flesh. Sloth bears are irritable creatures. Most often they are busy in digging an anthill and won't notice the approaching human being till the person is close. Most often they will run away, but the problem is when they run towards you. The fellow will stand on its hind legs and scratch you, in an attempt to get you away from its path. The effect is devastating on the humans. The people who survive have their features distorted beyond recognition.

Mrudul Godbole
14-04-2010, 11:38 AM
The crouching pose is nice. It is a very interesting observation. A tiger which is not a man eater wont attack humans unless provoked.

I too have seen people staying near the jungles, more scared of sloth bears than any other wild animals. I agree with what Sabyasachi has mentioned about Sloth bears. Since the bears have poor vision, they get aware of the human presence only when they are quite close and hence to protect themselves they attack. The claws being long and sharp tear out eyes and nose and the injuries are severe.

Thanks for sharing this interesting behaviour.

Bibhav Behera
18-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Nice pose. the scene reminds me of the Kenneth Anderson story about the sadhu and the maneater. I forgot the title of the story. Will have to check. Thanks for sharing.