PDA

View Full Version : Green snake ate a Frog...

V S Sankar
14-04-2010, 10:14 PM
This happened in the Dhoni forest near Palakkad.There is no spelling mistake!The place is known as "Dhoni".There is a waterfalls by the same name if you trek 5kms.

I heared a distress call while walking past a thick canopy of tree leaves and vines.On turning to my right I saw this.The distress call was of the frog.

Immediately I started clicking.Got some pictures.

Canon 400d,1/60,5.6,flash fired,ISO 400,hand held.Slight cropping

Praveen Siddannavar
15-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Lovely action captured and lucky to have witnessed this. This looks like a Green Vine Snake

Abhishek Jamalabad
15-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Lovely sighting and record. Good you got the whole frog and the snake's head and neck in the frame. Wish you had got a higher shutterspeed, by using a higher ISO. Obviously you had to react spontaneously though, and couldn't afford to play around with the settings.

Vine snakes are back-fanged snakes, so they have to hold on to their prey for quite a long time to get enough venom in. Looking forward to more from this series if you have any. Thanks for sharing.

Mrudul Godbole
15-04-2010, 01:55 PM
That is a rare action photographed. I liked the way the snake is holding the frog. A higher shutter speed would have been great to make the image a bit more sharp. Was it possible for you to move a bire more to the right to avoid the distraction in the left corner? Nicely photographed. Would like to see more from the series.

Thanks for the information Sankar and Abhishek.

Bibhav Behera
18-04-2010, 04:05 PM
I agree that a higher shutter speed would have been better here. Wish the out of focus branches in the front had not blocked the frog. I agree with Abhishek that the vine snakes hold on to their prey for long and wait for the venom to take effect. they have rows of sharp teeth to help them hold on to larger prey. Thanks for sharing.