PDA

View Full Version : Nature's Pattern Matching: Young fronds of a Cycas

Ruben Alexander
25-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi (Canon 18-55mm IS kit lens)
Exposure: 0.067 sec (1/15)
Aperture: f/10.0
Focal Length: 55 mm
ISO Speed: 800
Exposure Bias: -1 EV

Please give your feedback. Thanks :)

Bibhav Behera
25-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Nice work Ruben. I like the patterns formed. The noise is not an issue here. I would have tried recomposing a bit to include the fronds on the edges of the image fully. (Either to the right or the left). Did you use a tripod? If you did you could have tried some longer exposures with narrower apertures for even greater depth of field as the DOF is pretty shallow at short focal lengths.
I'm curious to know if you also tried keeping the point of focus at one end of the pattern such that the focus gradually fades off either from left or from the right as opposed to the focus at the centre. Just a thought !!! :)
Thanks for sharing. A nice effort. :)

Sabyasachi Patra
28-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Well seen. Repeated patterns always look good. Your shutter speed was pretty low. In such situations, it is better to use a tripod and mirror lockup. For tutorial on Mirror lockup check here: http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=410 (one needs to logon to access it).

Cropping from the top, will also accentuate the patterns and strengthen the composition. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
28-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Lovely composition. Nature sure has such lovely work of art. A higher DOF would have been good. Thanks for sharing.

Ruben Alexander
28-04-2010, 10:57 PM
The India Wilds forum unlike most photography forums give some real honest feedback on the photos. Appreciate your constructive comments. Its nice to get some honest criticism/ feedback. Specially appreciate the comments from Mrudul Godbole, Sabyasachi Patra, Bibhav Behera. Thanks and please do continue to give your honest feedbacks on my photographs. :)

Bibhav Behera
28-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Ruben,
That is the whole core philosophy on which this forum is built. One can always get good reviews/complements anywhere, however, to improve, the best way is to honestly judge ones image. Good to know that you appreciate the concept. :)

Chitrita Chatterjee
03-05-2010, 11:26 AM
lovely image... though i agree with the above comments.... I like the capture for just the composition.... the tight curls look very nice....
Do you have another image tht covers the tip pof the frond as well....??
Thanks for sharing this...and look forward to more from you....