PDA

View Full Version : Bats

Rajan Kanagasabai
29-04-2010, 06:19 AM
Hope I am right in classifying this one under the Mammals section. Else, pls move it appropriately.

This was pictured on the outskirts of Kabini (enroute to the resort). A large colony of them were just settling in.

Lighting here was tricky - harsh in patches through the leaves and dark in other places . . . . Angles were limited to this one and another, for there were leaves and tree branches hindering other views . . .

400D, APO 150-500, F6, 1/160, ISO 400

regards
Rajan

Abhishek Jamalabad
29-04-2010, 08:04 AM
Bats are indeed mammals, you have classified it correctly :).
I love the pose. The lighting looks tricky, as you have mentioned. A bit more sharpness would be better, though not sure whether you can go above ISO 400 in the 400D. The details on the wing are lovely.

Bibhav Behera
29-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Nicely done given the circumstances. The post is in the right section :)
I like the spread wings. The veins look good. I would have preferred a bit more space around. Thanks for sharing.

Praveen Siddannavar
29-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Nice shot under the circumstances mentioned, many a times people mistake bats under the birds category :)

Mrudul Godbole
29-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Photographing and sighting bats is difficult. The pose is nice. The details on the wings are good. Wish more details in the eye were visible. The vertical composition is nice. Thanks for sharing.

Rajan Kanagasabai
29-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Oh yes Abhishek, you are right. I could have bumped up the ISO to 1600 on the 400D to gain a higher shutter speed, though i am not sure how noisy the result would have been on varied lighting.

However, would have been worth the try. Why did i not think of it ? Thanks for the point . . . . will keep that in mind next time around . . .

regards
Rajan

Mrudul Godbole
29-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Oh yes Abhishek, you are right. I could have bumped up the ISO to 1600 on the 400D to gain a higher shutter speed, though i am not sure how noisy the result would have been on varied lighting.
regards
Rajan

I think ISO 800 would have been sufficient since you would have got a shutter speed of 1/320 and the noise level also would have been less as compared to ISO 1600.

Sabyasachi Patra
30-04-2010, 10:10 AM
I am ok with the composition. The open left wing (right side of the frame) covers up the bright area. A positive exposure compensation of about 1/3 stop would have helped.

You can increase the ISO to 800 to get a higher shutter speed. ISO 1600 would result in more of noise.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi