PDA

View Full Version : ID pls

Rajan Kanagasabai
29-04-2010, 06:25 AM
I'm no expert on Insects, nor with Macro's. However, this one was buzzing all over us, demanding attention (and possibly a picture) during one of our morning walks at Kabini . . .

400D, APO 150-500, F 6,1/500, ISO 400

regards
Rajan

Abhishek Jamalabad
29-04-2010, 07:59 AM
Crimson Marsh Glider Dragonfly, I think. Confirmation needed...
The focus seems to be off the body and closer to the tip of the dragonfly's right wing.

Bibhav Behera
29-04-2010, 11:49 AM
The composition is nice. I agree with Abhishek regarding the point of focus. Is this a big crop?

Mrudul Godbole
29-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Yes I think it is Crimson Marsh Glider Dragonfly female. The composition is nice. I agree about the focus. Look forward to more.

Rajan Kanagasabai
29-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the note on the focus. I did miss it until pointed out :-)
No Bibhav, a very small crop (say 10%) to remove a grass blade on the left corner.

regards
Rajan

Sabyasachi Patra
30-04-2010, 11:01 PM
The flickering wings make it difficult for the AF and will latch on to area with greater contrast. Better to manually focus the lens. A narrow aperture would have been better. You need to time the shutter with the flickering wings. These fellows appear simple, but need lot of time and effort to create a nice picture due to the requirements of depth of field and higher shutter speed. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mohan Raj
03-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Looks like a DITCH JEWEL (BRACHYTHEMIS CONTAMINATA) Male.

A widely distributed dragonfly of polluted waters is very common along sewage canals, tanks, ponds and ditches. Flies very close to the ground and perches on aquatic weeds.

TFS.