PDA

View Full Version : It is a Gaur or Indian Bison of course

V S Sankar
30-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the information Sabyasachi.It is a Gaur.I think we can call it Indian Bison as well.

Praveen, I could click 7-8 shots and this is the best.I am attaching a full-bull picture but the head is missing!!

Regards

Sabyasachi Patra
30-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Since it is not a Bison, it can't be called Indian Bison.

You can post a bigger image with 800 pixels at the longest side. It would have been good if the head would have been visible.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

V S Sankar
30-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Sabyasachi just look at these links;

http://www.india-wildlife-tours.com/wild-animals-in-india/indian-wildlife-gaur-indian-bison.html

http://www.pustakalaya.org/wiki/wp/g/Gaur.htm

They say it is called also as Indian Bison.But I will settle for your views.

Regards

Sabyasachi Patra
30-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Sankar,
Unfortunately, anyone can write anything and publish it in the net. Typically, tour agents have to provide some information for tourists. If you believe every word of it, then I don't know what to say. The second link you provided mistakes wild buffalo as Gaur. Anyone can write or edit wikipedia. So please don't consider it as the ultimate truth.

Britishers mistakenly thought that they have seen Bisons in India. Hence, the name stays till date. It is upto us to continue with that mistake or not.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
30-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Without the head been visible the composition looks incomplete. A bigger image would help to comment better.

V S Sankar
01-05-2010, 08:00 AM
I agree with you Sabyasachi.The tour operators for convenience have started calling the Gaur as Indian Bison.Thanks for your information.For me it is a Gaur for sure now!

I actually didnt want to share this photo with you since the head is blocked by a tree.Praveen asked whether I have a fuller frame of the animal and I posted a smaller pic(wid 500 ).This I did as a reply to the original post.But it has appered as a new thread.

Anyway interesting and informative discussion.Thanks again.