PDA

View Full Version : Sick.

Vikram Nanjappa
11-02-2009, 11:16 AM
This tusker is not well. He is spending most of his time in the water. We have seen him in the same spot for the past two weeks . He very rarely leaves the water. This is the same Tusker that I have posted in black and whits.

Mrudul Godbole
11-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Nice behavioural shot. If you had taken the trees in the background it would have added to the composition.

Is there any particular reason why elephants stay in water when sick?

Vikram Nanjappa
11-02-2009, 01:23 PM
He has injuries on his leg. The water probably gives him relief as he does not have to put too much weight on his legs ( due to the buoyancy factor ). There is a belief , among the old Assamese mahouts ( I heard it from them ), that when old tuskers are dying they come to the river to die. Do not know how much of it is true but since observing this tusker I am beginning to believe that if possible they will head for rivers as being in the water seems to give them some kind of relief.Personally I feel that this tusker may not survive which is a pity because as I mentioned earlier I have a soft spot for him , having known him for quite a few years now. This again gives rise to the question - should we interfere in National Parks or let nature take its course ?

Mrudul Godbole
11-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Yes, that is definately a debatable question whether to interfere with the nature or let it take its own course.

Maybe we can think as far as the natural events are concerned we can let nature take its own course, but if there is any mishap because of humans, that the animals have suffered, then we should definately interfere and see what we can do about it.

Thanks, Vikram for letting us know.

Sabyasachi Patra
11-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Vikram,
This giant looks like to be preparing itself to die. I was told about it by my Dad when I was a kid. I have heard this from child hood days from other sources as well including mahouts, tribals etc. The reason you mentioned is true. It becomes easier due to the buoyancy factor. Also when they have wounds, ticks, flies etc torture them when they are out of water.

Please keep us updated.

Sanjeev Kumar SR
01-03-2009, 09:34 PM
I remember reading in KA books about at least one elephant which sought out water to die when the time came. He writes that he was given a similar explanation by Sholigas that elephants would drown themselves when they came to know that their time was up. Would be interested in knowing what happens to this animal in the coming days.
Cheers
Sanjeev