PDA

View Full Version : Nightjar

Bibhav Behera
12-05-2010, 10:55 AM
This image was shot in Similipal Biosphere Reserve. Had gone there to participate in the ongoing Tiger Census. Got this guy in the Barahkamuda range. These guy completely freeze when light is focussed on them and will only fly at the last moment. :)

The light is from the head light of the Gypsy. Took this lying on my belly and the camera on a makeshift beanbag for support. Wish the rock in front were absent, but this was the best way to get it as parallel to the camera as possible.

This is a Full Frame image.

Canon EOS 1000D, Canon EF 300mm f.4L IS USM
SS 1.3" (Mirror Lockup)
F 5.6
ISO 400

Comments and Critiques welcome.

Bibhav Behera
12-05-2010, 12:03 PM
ID on the subspecies appreciated. I'm guessing this is a Jerdon's Nightjar.

Abhishek Jamalabad
12-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Nice compo. Love the low angle and the DOF. Agree about the rock.

I know you prefer images with minimal PP :), but here's a tweaked version. Decreased the saturation, made a slight change in the levels and sharpened the image (I hope I haven't sharpened it a little too much). Let me know what you think of it.

Sabyasachi Patra
12-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Moving to the right would have helped in avoiding the rock as well as getting the subject parallel to the sensor. At the moment the bird is slightly angle away from you, with the head turned in your direction. You could have shifted over to f4 after getting parallel to the bird. That would have made your shutter speed faster as well.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Bibhav Behera
12-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks Abhishek, the repost does look better.
Sabyasachi, I wanted to move more to the right, but I was right next to the front tyres, So couldnt move more.

Mrudul Godbole
12-05-2010, 05:49 PM
The low angle is good. Nice eye contact. Wish the stone was not present. The repost looks good. Thanks for sharing.

Praveen Siddannavar
12-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Lovely image of the Nightjar & a good find, agree with comments made. The repost by Abhishek looks better.
tfs