PDA

View Full Version : Angry Pelican

Sabyasachi Patra
12-12-2008, 10:28 PM
This Pelican was quarreling with one on the branch below.

Canon EOS 40D, ISO 250, EF 300mm f4 L IS USM, f8, 1/800. Hand held. Full frame.

Ranbir Mahapatra
18-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Interesting use of the pelican torso and head! Looks like a condescending, garrulous pelican to me!

I am finding images where the subject or an important part of the environment diagonally aligned very powerful. Good clarity for hand held. I somehow found the eye direction of the pelican a bit distracting. It takes me away from the rest of image and makes me look at the bottom right. But honestly, I cannot imagine how you could have corrected or prevented that.

Images tell a thousand words. This image definitely conveys an entire story!

Aditya Panda
18-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Love this one. Good details, lovely moment! Did you take a vertical one with the 'victim' pelican in the frame?

Sabyasachi Patra
19-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Aditya,
I clicked one vertical before this shot. However, I didn't like it due to the cluttered branches below. Tried one vertical with this pelican and the sky and that was also not good. In the next I tried a horizontal, and it was then that this pelican started quarraling with one on a branch below. I decided to just focus on this one to get its expression. I used f8 here to get more depth of field.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Aditya Panda
19-03-2009, 04:07 PM
The narrow aperture and the DOF has really helped in this one. I think, when one has a 'cluttered' background, it is better to include it and make it part of the image than try to fight it with a wide aperture. At least it helps to show the environment of the subject properly.

Chitrita Chatterjee
19-03-2009, 04:27 PM
looks like an angry granny..... :-)
you can almost imagine the sheepish youngsters lower in the branches.... cowering before this onslaught....
I wish you had captured the entire picture... together with the one/s getting this mouth ( beak ?) full......