PDA

View Full Version : Sick elephant dies.

Vikram Nanjappa
13-02-2009, 07:27 PM
The sick elephant passed away today. Please check out this link for more details. I can not upload all the photographs here.

http://gaur36.livejournal.com/87939.html

Bibhav Behera
13-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Oh no..I felt so moved seeing it bonding with the gaur... :(
Read your journal... Really touching...
may he RIP...

Rajan Kanagasabai
13-02-2009, 07:44 PM
A very sad day Vikram. In fact, when i was talking to you and Venki on the phone today, i realised the bonding both of you had developed with this animal over the past few years and it must be so much more tougher . . .

May his soul rest in peace !!!

regards
Rajan

Vikram Nanjappa
14-02-2009, 09:11 AM
My friend Dr. Arvind Raj has the following to say ;

Heard about him a couple of days back and was eagerly awaiting new info. Sad to hear about his demise. His injury which from your photos appears to be a significant displaced fracture is quite debilitating. I am sure if he could never have made it to the wild even if he had the best vet in the world . Then comes the next question,, is the painful, limping, zoo life better than a reasonably quick death. For a person being trained in medical oncolgy I come accross this end of care issues routinely. In humans we have a concept of hospice care and adress the issue during the course of the patients treatment and tryto explore the patients wishes. Never thought how we could employ this in wildlife settings.