PDA

View Full Version : Expert Suggestions Needed!

Praveen Siddannavar
16-05-2010, 01:25 PM
This image is created at Kundal area in Sawai Mahadopur Sanctuary, I am continuing the incident of Sadhu walking in the forest area in presence of a tiger. For memebers who have missed it pl view threads below :

http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3618

http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19333#post19333

After the tiger saw the sadhu she quickly ran and hid in the bushes on our left and that is how we could provide cover to sadhu by moving our gypsy forward.

Now coming back to the image posted, I need advice to understand in a situation where a tiger is in bushes is it advisabe to shot using manual focus mode? I was really struggling to shot this image hence did not post them earlier. I used Av and auto focus, I am posting the image as is with some adjustments in levels, no crop- Its a Full Frame

Camera Model Canon EOS 40D, 100-400mm
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/125
Av( Aperture Value ) 7.1
ISO 500
Focal length 400mm
Full Frame & Hand held

Sabyasachi Patra
16-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Praveen,
It is tough to use AF (Auto focus) when the subject is surrounded or covered by vegetation. Invariably the AF point will pick up the vegetation and lock focus. Hence the critical focus won't be on the eye. Also, you will find that the AF continues to hunt.

With the new cameras having live view, one can use the following technique. Place your camera in bean bag or tripod. Use the live view and then zoom in to adjust the focus. Then click.

Tough shooting conditions. I like the angle of the shot.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
16-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Agree with Sabyasachi. I mostly prefer to use manual focus. It is better to use tripod or rest the camera on something, to avoid movement.

You have done well in the given conditions. It is good you got the eyes in the clear. Thanks for sharing.

AB Apana
16-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Just turn off the AF, focus manually and shoot! Canon bodies do have a button to disable AF, but nobody has thus far figured out how to use the button. On the 500 f4, there are three buttons that you press to disable AF, but the problem is you have to keep them pressed and this is impossible to do when handholding the lens.

Apana

Bibhav Behera
17-05-2010, 07:29 PM
The image works well. I agree with the replies regarding using MF. I'm yet to use it successfully in the field though...