PDA

View Full Version : Oligodon arnensis (Common Kukri Snake)

Akshay Kumar Manjunath
17-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Dear All,

I rescued this guy near my place , I took this photograph before putting him in the bag.

And i used a digital camera to take this photograph .

Behaviour: A timid snake which will only attack if molested otherwise it will simply inflate itself into a threatening posture or swiftly dart for cover. It tends to stick to the forest floor, seldom venturing on to trees. This snake is very active by day and may continue well into dusk. It may enter human habitations occasionally in search of shelter and such unfortunate specimens often end up being killed.

Venom: Non venomous.

If you observe the eye its cloudy and the body colouration is dull , thats the indication that the snake will shed its skin.

Mrudul Godbole
17-05-2010, 09:58 PM
The composition is nice. I liked the eye contact and the details. Wish it was in its natural surroundings. Thanks for sharing the behaviour information.

Sabyasachi Patra
17-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Akshay,
Thanks for the details. The snake seems to be alert and sensing with its tongue out.

Unfortunately, despite living with snakes for several thousand years, we Indian's have never learn't to identify a snake. Hence, all get killed.

Sabyasachi

Bibhav Behera
19-05-2010, 03:30 PM
The tongue looks good. I would have liked to see more of the body. Agree that a natural setting is always preferred. Thanks for sharing.