PDA

View Full Version : Juv Brahminy Kite!

Praveen Siddannavar
28-05-2010, 07:19 AM
Shot this near a village known as Yellandur on my way to BRT-K Gudi, a farmer had dried up, not sure if it were shrimps but it was stinking very badly and we sighted over 25-30 BK's that were feeding on it. The smell was intolerable that my friends jumped off and ran from this place, it was only me who was busy shooting:laugh:

Camera Model Canon EOS 40D, 100-400mm
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/800
Av( Aperture Value ) 7.1
ISO 500
Focal length 400mm
Full Frame & Hand held

AB Apana
28-05-2010, 08:39 AM
I like the BG here. This is one of the best places to photograph Brahminys in flight and if lucky you may get a Black Eagle closer to BRT. The stinking things are silk-worm cocoons.

Apana

Sabyasachi Patra
28-05-2010, 09:22 AM
I have seen brahminy kites hovering over this place. I like the background colours. Going down lower would have helped in diffusing the background and would have been even better. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Abhishek Jamalabad
28-05-2010, 09:33 AM
The uniform BG looks good. Agree that going lower would help diffuse it further. Overall a good shot. TFS

Akshay Kumar Manjunath
28-05-2010, 09:58 AM
Hi Praveen,

Good capture i liked the back ground, How will you differentiate between juvenile Brahminy Kite and pariah kite.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Akshay

Praveen Siddannavar
28-05-2010, 10:28 AM
one simple way to differentiate is that the Black kites have a fork tail that is not present in Brahminy.

Apana is an expert and he can add more to this please

Bibhav Behera
28-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Nice image. I agree that going slightly lower might have been better. The uniformity looks good. Thanks for sharing.

Mrudul Godbole
28-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Lovely photograph. The pose and the eye contact is nice. The pebble background compliments the bird.

It shows you are a true wildlife photographer, since you could bear the stinking smell to get some good photographs :). Thanks for sharing.

Akshay, The 3 distinguishing points between Black Kite and Juv Brahminy Kite are -
- The colour of the Brahminy Kite is light brown with a bit of orange/pink.
- The fork tail in Black Kite as mentioned by Praveen.
- The Black Kite's nose is yellow which is not the case in Juv. Brahminy Kite.

Please add if any more points.

Akshay Kumar Manjunath
28-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Hey thanks a lot Mrudul and Praveen.

I think now i would be able to distinguish between these two birds of prey.

Regards,
Akshay