PDA

View Full Version : ID pls - variety of Kingfisher??

Dr Hari Venkatesh K R
30-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Shot this bird in MGR Thittu, near Chidambaram...it was too far so had cropped a bit from all sides..i agree that there is more noise in it...

I remember a post before by Apana which was shot from his office...is this the same bird??
Canon EOS 1000D EF-S 55 to 250mm
Shutter priority mode - 1/500
f - 5.6
ISO - 1600
Ev - +2
WB - Cloudy
FL - 250mm

Bibhav Behera
30-05-2010, 02:27 PM
This looks like a Pied Kingfisher (f) to me. The one Apana had posted was a Crested Kingfisher. A crested kingfisher doesn't have the white band in the supercilium like the pied kingfisher.
The one you have photographed has the white band above the eye and a single black band across the breast. So I would put my money on Pied Kingfisher (Female).

Quoting from Grimmett and Inskipp

Pied Kingfisher (Ceryle rudis) 31cm
Widespread resident. Smaller than Crested Kingfisher with white supercilium, white patches on wings, and black band(s) across breast. Female has single breast-band (Double in male). Still fresh waters, slow moving rivers and streams, also tidal creeks and pools.

AB Apana
30-05-2010, 04:42 PM
This is a Pied Kingfisher. The larger cousin, the Crested, is not found down South.

Praveen Siddannavar
30-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Indeed a Pied Kingfisher, good attempt Hari to take the flight shot.

Apana i have seen your image of Crested KF, it is by far the best images of this species that I have seen.

Mrudul Godbole
30-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Nice flight shot. Look forward to see more birds photographs. Thanks for sharing.

Abhishek Jamalabad
01-06-2010, 01:30 PM
A pied kingfisher (female). Good attempt with the 55-250! Look forward to more.