PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly (ID help required)

Abhishek Jamalabad
02-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Photographed this butterfly at Karnala recently. Not sure of the ID, but to me it looks like a Striped Tiger. However, I have never seen a striped tiger with a white patch on the wing as in this image. I browsed through The Book of Indian Butterflies, and the closest match was the Striped Tiger Danaus genutia... ID help appreciated.

Camera Model Name Canon PowerShot SX10 IS
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv (Shutter Speed) 1/320
Av (Aperture Value) 5.7
ISO Speed 100
Played with the levels and shadows & highlights.
Cropped slightly from the bottom and left for composition.

Thanks, C&C awaited.

Mrudul Godbole
02-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Nice composition. The low perspective looks good. The details are nice. A narrower aperture would have enhanced the image further. Thanks for sharing.

Abhishek Jamalabad
02-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks Mrudul,
Could you please specify how a narrower aperture would have helped? Do you mean a higher DOF? Because to me the DOF looks adequate to cover the butterfly.
By the way, do you think the image needs a slight sharpness boost? (No extra sharpening done here.)

Sabyasachi Patra
02-06-2010, 02:32 PM
The image doesn't appear sharp. Sharpness is a function of your shutter speed, technique, as well as depth of field.

The wings are nearly parallel to the image plane. However, to get the head and both the wings, you need a higher depth of field. A narrow aperture ie. f8 vis a vis f5.6 will give a higher depth of field, so more areas will be in focus. If you check the rock, not much of the area seems to be sharp.

So in this case, though you used 1/320th of second shutter speed, your camera needed some more stability as well as more depth of field.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Abhishek Jamalabad
02-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Thanks Sabyasachi, I get the point.

Bibhav Behera
02-06-2010, 05:46 PM
I like the low angle and the background here. Cropping out the dark patch at the bottom would be good. Thanks for sharing.

Mrudul Godbole
02-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Thanks Sabyasachi, for clarifying my point.

Mohan Raj
04-06-2010, 10:09 PM
I think it is a Danaid Eggfly or Mimic (Hypolimnas misippus) - Male.

Nice photograph. TFS.

Abhishek Jamalabad
06-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the help Mohan, I had looked up the Danaid Eggfly too, but it seems a closer match to the striped tiger, only the white patch is odd...

Abhishek Jamalabad
07-06-2010, 08:14 AM
I had looked up the Danaid Eggfly too, but it seems a closer match to the striped tiger, only the white patch is odd...
Oops sorry, it is a Danaid Eggfly. Many thanks Mohan. :)