PDA

View Full Version : Neelakurinji....Strobilanthus Kunthiana

V S Sankar
03-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Neelakurinji or Strobilathus Kunthiana blooms only once in 12 years.The last time it was in full bloom was in 2006.This picture from the archives is from Eravikulam NP........

Nikon FM2,nikkor 300mm

Regards

Mrudul Godbole
03-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Lovely colours. The composition is nice. What were the EXIF details? I would have liked a further narrow aperture. Thanks for the information. Look forward to more.

Bibhav Behera
03-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Good to know about the information. You used a shallow DOF i guess. The composition is nice and the colours look good. Do you have any wider compositions of the same? Thanks for sharing.

V S Sankar
03-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the comments.I have a few other pictures of the flowers which I will share with you.

Sorry for a spelling mistake.It is "Strobilanthus Kunthiana" and not as spelt.I missed the "n".I am unable to edit it.Is there a way for that?

Thanks

Sabyasachi Patra
05-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Nice. I have never photographed these. Last time, I missed it despite being in chennai. Lets see whether next time I am able to see and photograph these upclose. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

V S Sankar
06-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Sabya the next Neelakurinji season is in 2018!I wonder how you would look at that time.For that matter all of us!!!

Regards

Sabyasachi Patra
06-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Sankar,
I hope I will be alive and be able to carry my heavy lens at that time. :-) We humans take things for granted. Eight years can be a long time as well as a too short a time as well.

Who knows whether there would be any land available for the Kurinji to bloom at all after eight years. It is possible that some politician comes up with the crazy idea of donating the land to landless people. And who knows the climatic conditions in 2018 would be faourable for the blooming of Kurinji or not?

One should remember that we are all mortals. Considering that a thirty four year old colleague passed away due to a heart attack, one should not assume things. It is better to do our bit, before we bite the dust. :D

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

V S Sankar
06-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Sabyasachi has given a philosophical answer.But Iam sure you will be there in 2018 with that heavy lens of yours......

Let me reassure you that the Kurnji and its surroundings will be intact.The Kerala government has declared even a Kurinji sanctuary stretching from Chinnar to Rajamalai.

Please click on this link for that information.....

http://kurinji.in/kurinjimala.html

In todays fast paced life 8 years may be gone in no time.

So when the Kurinji is in full bloom in 2018 with increased number of Nilgiri Tahrs for company I can imagine Sabya along with may be other friends from Indiawilds roaming the undulating terrain of Eravikulam National Park......

Regards

Lakshminarayanan Nataraja
08-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Good news Sankar.

I had seen Kurunji flowering once - near Kodai hills. Once I was with Shri. TNA Perumal and he had shown me 2 types of kurunji flowers at that time. I guess, most of the Kurunji flowers which are available in popular magazines were all shot by him.