PDA

View Full Version : Anger

Sabyasachi Patra
19-02-2009, 06:06 PM
This tigress was cooling off in water in Bandhavgarh National Park on a hot summer afternoon. We reached there and found that she was not so comfortable at our presence. I was photographing and after a few minutes couple of jeeps arrived in the scene. She showed her displeasure and then left the scene.

This is not a natural behaviour. We feel great when we see a tiger snarling, however the reality is the tiger is annoyed. I have seen some of the well known names in Indian wildlife photography irritating the tiger to get such a shot.

There is something in this image which I didn't like. Tell me what it is.

Canon EOS 40D, Canon EF 400mm f2.8 L IS USM, EF 2xII TC, ISO 400, f8, 1/250 sec, EV: +1/3rd

Rajan Kanagasabai
19-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Is it the composition ? Too much of 'Grass space" and the subject low down?

Rajan

Bibhav Behera
19-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Yea, maybe a bit more of water in the image and lesser free space on top...

Sabyasachi Patra
20-02-2009, 09:14 AM
I actually don't like the bright highlight at the bottom right - the light was reflecting from the wet back of the tigress and also that rock is also bright. That distracts attention from the face. A higher shutter speed would have been good as well.

Vikram Nanjappa
20-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Our obsession for 'dramatic ' images is the biggest cause of disturbance in our forests. A wild animal at ease going about its life as if you were not there is for me the best sight in the world. It give me a feeling of belonging , that I am a part of its world and not an intruder. A photograph taken under these circumstances , in my opinion, conveys much more than a 'dramatic ' image.

Sabyasachi Patra
24-02-2009, 08:07 PM
I agree. People are attracted to our forests by images of tiger snarling. These images make people believe that getting the shot of an angry tiger is the ultimate in wildlife photography, so to speak. People need to be educated. Our wildlife tourism sector needs to be educated about it.

In Africa it is atleast the big 5 (ie Lion, elephant, rhino, leopard, buffalo) are promoted. However, in India it is only the tiger and leopard. Since it is difficult to sight the leopard, it becomes solely tiger centric. With a few exceptions like Kaziranga where it is the Rhino. Except for a few operators here and there, by and large the wildlife tourism sector has not done anything to improve the situation. I hope we can generate enough awareness at least among the wildlife photographers.