PDA

View Full Version : Close shave

Roopak Gangadharan
10-06-2010, 06:55 PM
I came upon this mother and small calf peacfully grazing on the Bathery -Gudulpet strech in Bandipur.They completely ignored me and i had switched off my engine when an idiot came to screeching halt behind me and made a din. In a flash the mother charged and came almost within touching distance before i could start and take off.

Intrestingly when the mother charged the calf took off in the opposite direction.

Roopak

Praveen Siddannavar
10-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Lovely image, it is always to watch the calf. I like the way the calf has hid behind the mother. The raised trunk indicates it is smelling humans around.
tfs

Mrudul Godbole
10-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Interesting behaviour captured. I liked the raised trunk. The composition is nice. It shows how we humans disturb the wilderness. Thanks for sharing.

Bibhav Behera
11-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Nice behaviour captured. Sadly people don't realise where to draw the line between observing and intruding. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
11-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Even after driving in vehicles every day, we get startled when a vehicles screeches to a halt near us. It is quiet natural that elephant will get alarmed if we make such unwarranted disturbance.

What was the shutter speed and aperture?

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

V S Sankar
13-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Good capture.Must have been low light conditons.

I have also experienced similar situation in the same route.One occation a jeepfull of people disembarked and started photographing using their mobiles!

The party included grandmas,sub adults,adults....The elephant was agitated and kicking its leg.Nobody was bothered.Of all people I looked the fool as I was inside my car and the engine was running.Two youngsters came in a two wheeler and parked just in front of my car.Already the jeep was parked close to the rear end.Had the animal charged I would have been just a spectator......!!