PDA

View Full Version : Elephant Calf @ Kabini!

Praveen Siddannavar
12-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Shot this calf recently at Kabini...

Camera Model Canon EOS 40D, 100-400mm
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/100
Av( Aperture Value ) 5.6
ISO 1000
Focal length 370mm
Full Frame & Hand held

Bibhav Behera
12-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Love the B/W treatment. The branch in front adds interest. The OOF foliage at the bottom adds a dreamy feel to the image. In colour it would probably have distracted, but here they sure look good to me. This works for me well. Thanks for sharing.

V S Sankar
13-06-2010, 09:48 AM
I think this is the calf from the earlier posting of yours of mother and calf.Blcak and white has added an eerie look to the picture.

Sabyasachi Patra
13-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Texture, repeated patterns work well in black and white. I find Elephant skin due to its numerous folds, show up well in black and white. However, if it is not a portrait, then one has to look for texture in the other elements of the composition as well. A narrow depth of field would bring up details and hence texture in a black and white composition. Also, sharpness and contrast is important.

The tree behind the calf doesn't add to the composition. Also, better lighting would have been good.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
13-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Its difficult to get the calf alone. The b/w composition looks good. I agree better light would have enhanced the image further. Thanks for sharing.