PDA

View Full Version : Acacia & Grassland...

Rahul Parekh
14-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Camera: Canon S3 IS
Date: Jan. 2010
Place: Grassland nearby Rajkot

Sabyasachi Patra
14-06-2010, 02:40 PM
Early morning or late evening colours would have been lovely. Ofcourse, we don't get those intense sunset colours of africa here.

This is supposed to be an introduced species, albeit many many years ago. There is an interesting fact about it (Source National Geographic book on Africa). When its leaves are picked, they release tanins so no browser like giraffe eats beyond a few leaves. Also, they release ethylene gas that wafts in the wind and alerts other trees in the vicinity. The other acacia trees start producing more of tanins as well based on this. That is the reason why you find giraffes eating a leaf or two and then moving away.

In India, there are no giraffes (there were during the pre-gondwana land breakup), so no natural browsers of its leaves in most of the places, except for elephants.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
14-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Nice enviornment photograph. Agree better light would have enhanced the composition further.

Sabyasachi, thanks for sharing the interesting information.

Bibhav Behera
14-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Agree about the light. Sabyasachi, Thanks for the info.

Rahul, you can post a larger image upto 800 pixels wide on the longest side. Thanks for sharing.

Rahul Parekh
15-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Thank you so much my friends for your encouraging and useful comments :)

@Sabyasachi: lovely and new information. very useful :) Yes, those colours are so beautiful from Orange to Golden and Red to Yellow :)

@Mrudul: I agree with you more light must have had improved this composition :)

@Bibhav: Will post bigger image next time :)

Cheers, Rahul

Abhishek Jamalabad
16-06-2010, 09:42 AM
I agree about the light. This image would look better to me without the tilt, is it intentional?

Rahul Parekh
18-06-2010, 08:00 PM
@Abhishek: No this is natural slop, I've not kept it deliberately. Observe the Trees. All are straight :)