PDA

View Full Version : Red rose: Underwater? (Andaman, India)

Vishal Bhave
15-06-2010, 10:46 PM
This is egg case of Dorid sea slug most possibly of Spanish dancer (Hexabranchus sanguineus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_dancer)). It is bright red color and huge (if compared to other sea slug egg cases).

Details:
Model = Canon PowerShot G10
Exposure Time = 1/400 sec [0.002]
F Number = 4
ISO Speed Ratings = 80
Shutter Speed Value = 277/32 [8.656]
Aperture Value = 4

Sorry for the image quality :blush: but was very difficult to hold position underwater while snorkeling and free dive (for amateur like me).

Mrudul Godbole
15-06-2010, 11:05 PM
A very apt title. The red colour is enhanced against the plain bluish green background. I would have liked to see some more of the sea water than the rock. Thanks for the information, it is all new to us :). Look forward to see more.

Vishal Bhave
15-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Mrudul
As per request tried to add more water in an image.

Abhishek Jamalabad
16-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Nice. Thanks for sharing this. You could try toning down the highlights on the rock. The colours in the 2nd image look a bit over-saturated to me.

Sabyasachi Patra
16-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Wow. It is certainly colourful. Looks like a rose to me. :D

I agree that you can reduce the saturation slightly and tweak the highlights a bit. Which software do you use for post processing?

I can imagine how difficult it would be to stabilise oneself and shoot in the face of current etc.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Vishal Bhave
16-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Sorry, but I know very little in image processing (Currently using opensouce Paint.net / Picasa). It was captured under Harsh light at noon.

Mrudul Godbole
16-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Hi Vishal,

To get the best results in processing it is better if you use Adobe Lightroom. I have used picasa, but it is a bit difficult to get good results as it is basic software.

Do you photograph in RAW mode? If you photograph in jpeg, in post processing you wont be able to do much alteration. You can check the following post for the difference in RAW and jpeg mode -

http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4177

Sabyasachi Patra
16-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Vishal,

You seem to be shooting in Jpeg. Your Canon G10 has got facility to shoot Raw. The reason why I am asking you to shoot RAW is because it contains maximum information and acts like a digital negative. Also, in case of RAW the information like white balance etc are embedded in it and you can change the white balance later without impacting the quality of the image.

Please check this tutorial about processing in lightroom. This will also give you an idea about general image processing.
http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2287

You can also use the DPP software that would have come along with your camera, so it comes free. The interface is not as good as lightroom, but it does the job well.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Chitrita Chatterjee
17-06-2010, 02:23 PM
very pretty... :-) really looks like a flower.... wish you wud tone down the colors a bit... it wud make the image more attractive....

Bibhav Behera
17-06-2010, 10:23 PM
I like the repost with less rock and more water. The colours look nice. The focus seems a bit off. Thanks for sharing.