PDA

View Full Version : My 3000th Post

Bibhav Behera
21-06-2010, 12:55 AM
Just back from a short trip to Debrigarh Wildlife Sanctuary in Orissa.

ID: Common Tailorbird (Orthotomus sutorius)
These guys are extremely skittish. I was lucky that I could capture it after a lot of waiting and stalking.
I know there are lots of distractions and the background is blown in a few places, however I liked the image.
Critiques and Comments welcome.

Canon EOS 1000D, Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM
SS 1/400
F5
ISO 400

PS: This is my 3000th post. :)

Mrudul Godbole
21-06-2010, 10:23 AM
The eye contact is nice. Its good that you got the eye in the clear. Its quite difficult to photograph these small birds.

Congrats on the 300th post. Look forward to 5000 soon :).

Sabyasachi Patra
21-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Congratulations on the 3000th post!

3k posts in online forums is a sizeable number. I hope the journey was not painful. ;) How are you feeling now?

Why f5? Your lens works well even wide open at f4 apeture. It is not easy to click images of birds in thick vegetation. Not all birds will come out and perch on an open spot. The idea is to make the best out of position and see that the distractions are at the minimum. It is good that in this case, the head and eye is in the clear. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Abhishek Jamalabad
21-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Nice, I like this. Is it full frame?

Bibhav Behera
21-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.

Sabyasachi,
The journey has been anything but painful. :) If it weren't for Indiawilds, I guess I wouldn't have nurtured my interest for photography beyond clicking just like everyone else.

It might sound foolish, but I was trying to see what a 'sweet spot' of a lens actually feels like, hence f5. In retrospection, I feel it doesn't make much difference and I could have used f/4 as well.

Abhishek,
This is not full frame. This has been cropped slightly the right and bottom. The bird was in the centre in the full frame image. The 1000D has a cross type AF sensor only in the central AF point. When I got this guy perch close to me, I clicked away.

Lakshminarayanan Nataraja
21-06-2010, 07:25 PM
3000 wild images is a good acheivement. If we assume that you took 1 minute for every picture you took, it is 3000 minutes you spent in the wild - the most refreshing and rejunuvating of all experiences.

A common bird for the eyes and not for the lens. Good capture.

Bibhav Behera
21-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Laxminarayan,
I wish I had 3000 images to my credit on the forum, but its 3000 posts (images + critiques).
Hopefully will be able to showcase more of India's wilds as the mission of the forums states.
:)