PDA

View Full Version : ID Help

Bibhav Behera
22-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Shot this in Debrigarh a couple of days back.

Comments and critiques welcome
The bluish light you see is that from a headlamp held in the other direction to avoid a second catchlight.
Full frame image

Canon EOS 1000D, 18-55
SS 1/8 (manual mode, flash fired)
f/5.6
ISO 1600

I realise it is a tree frog.
Some help on the exact ID will be extremely appreciated!!!

Mrudul Godbole
22-06-2010, 10:03 PM
The vertical composition looks good. The eye contact and the colours are nice. Wish you could have had a higher DOF. The black background enhances the image further. Thanks for sharing.

Abhishek Jamalabad
23-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Looks like a Common Tree Frog Polypedates maculatus (not too sure abt the sci. name, there may be an updated one.) Confirmation from others would be great.

Some of the finer ID points from J.C. Daniel, as requested by Bibhav:
Skin of head free. Snout obtusely acuminate, as long as the diameter of the eye. Inter-orbital width (i.e. distance between the eye sockets) broader than upper eyelid. Tympanum diameter = 3/4 that of the eye. 1st finger as long as second; fingers with a rudiment of web. Toes 3/4 webbed. Finger- and toe-tips dilated into discs; 3rd finger disc 1/3 or 1/2 the diameter of the eye. Heels strongly overlap when legs are folded at right angles to the body. Skin smooth above, granulate on the belly and under thighs, a fold from eye to shoulder.
Hinder side of thighs with round yellow spots, usually separated by a brown network. Can change colour to a certain extent to merge with surroundings.
Found throughout the Peninsula. Starts breeding just before the onset of the monsoons. The call is a somewhat metallic "tak-tak---tak-tak-tak" which can continue for about 15-20 seconds.

Bibhav Behera
23-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the info Abhishek. The description does seem to fit. I should have recorded the calls as well... :(

Lakshminarayanan Nataraja
24-06-2010, 08:34 AM
It is most like common tree frog.

A book by Dr. RJ Ranjit Daniels - book of Amphibians of India is the best field guide to identify frogs. I find it very handy. J.C.Daniel's book is good but has limited species only. The former book has good photos and description is vivid.

Sabyasachi Patra
24-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Nice image. It would have been great if the head was closer to you. No idea about the species. The description shared by Abhishek is good. I want these species to be photographed and highlighted so that the common man and woman becomes aware.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Bibhav Behera
24-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the comments and the ID help guys. Appreciate it.

PS: I forgot to mention that a -2/3 compensation for the Flash was used.