PDA

View Full Version : Asian Openbill: Mangalajodi

Satyabrata Mishra
27-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Canon 40D 100-400 L IS, SS:1/2500, f/7.1, ISO400, Focal length 360mm, Metering: Spot

The Asian Openbill or Asian Openbill Stork, Anastomus oscitans, is a large wading bird in the stork family Ciconiidae.

Field Id Guide:Breeding adults are all white except for the black wing flight feathers, red legs and dull yellow-grey bill. The mandibles do not meet except at the tip, and this gives rise to the species' name. Non-breeding adults have the white of the plumage replaced by off-white. Young birds have brown tinge to the plumage.

Mrudul Godbole
27-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Lovely image. The eye contact and the details are nice. The flowers in the foreground look good too. A bit more space in the bottom would have strengthened the composition further. Thanks for sharing the information. Look forward to more images.

Bibhav Behera
27-06-2010, 09:42 PM
The sharpness is nice. I like the catchlight in the eye. I agree that more space at the bottom would have been good. I like the flowers at the bottom. Thanks for sharing.

Abhishek Jamalabad
28-06-2010, 07:23 AM
Nice shot. Agree about the need for more space at the bottom. TFS

Sabyasachi Patra
28-06-2010, 10:17 AM
I like the eye contact. Slightly more space at the bottom and changing that strip to make it transparent would have been good. Your shutter speed was 1/2500, so you could have sacrificied a bit to use a one stop narrow aperture here. The flowers looks good. Let me see when I can go to Mangalajodi again. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi