PDA

View Full Version : Spider Identification Needed

Pankil Desai
29-06-2010, 10:58 PM
I have been trying to identify this particular spider from past 1 year. I have approached many people about this and none are able to identify it.

It would be of great help if anyone can help me with identification of the spider or give me link to someone who can help me identify if.

This spider was found in BTM Area, behind Silk Board, Bangalore.

Sabyasachi Patra
30-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Never seen such a colourful spider. I would be interested in knowing the id myself. Can you describe its behaviour? Am wondering whether this is a native species. Lets see what our experts say.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Abhishek Jamalabad
30-06-2010, 10:16 PM
I've never seen a spider with such dazzling colours :). Not sure whether it is a native species. Try this site for the ID: http://www.southindianspiders.org/default.htm I have browsed the site several times, I dont recall anything like this listed there.
TFS, it would be great to see more images of this spider.

Pankil Desai
30-06-2010, 11:48 PM
For all I know its some kind of jumping spider. Thats all I can say. I will come up more pictures of the same. Had taken many. From somewhere I came to know that it was once spotted in Pondichery also. Can't confirm it though. Experts, waiting desperately for the identification of this spider. I have tried at www.indianaturewatch.net and www.southindianspiders.org, but in vain. I tried contacting the Authors of "Spiders of India" book, but not reply so far.

Looking forward to some positive feedback.

Akshay Kumar Manjunath
01-07-2010, 09:02 AM
Dear Pankil,

Though i stay in bangalore i have never come across this spider, You can contact Dr Harish Bhat , he is a very good friend of mine and he is working as a scientist in Ecological Science Department IISC (INDIAN INSTITUTE OF SCIENCES BANGALORE).

You can contact him at the below mentioned Id , I have spoken to him regarding this you can keep my name as reference.

when you are mailing him mark CC to me (emakshaykumar@gmail.com)

harishrbhat@gmail.com (Dr Harish Bhat)

Regards,
Akshay

Mohan Raj
02-07-2010, 11:16 AM
That is a colourful spider species. Look like silk saree threads.

Pankil, TFS.

Vikram Gupchup
04-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Hi Pankil,

Nice Image !

Have you tried posting on the spiderindia yahoo group?

You could sign up at http://www.diversityindia.org/