PDA

View Full Version : Mizoram govt to take action against poachers

Mrudul Godbole
30-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Good action taken by Mizoram Government against poaching.

Mizoram govt to take action against poachers
Written by Mizoram Express Mizo News Jun 22, 2010 20 views

Aizawl: Mizoram Environment and Forests Minister, Mr. H. Rohluna said, action will be taken against the defaulting staff and officers of the department who allegedly indulged in killing of wild animals and poisoning of fishes in the river.

Reacting to the statement made recently by the Consultant of Indian Research Institute, North East, Mr. Rotluanga Fanai, the Minister said that thorough investigation will be taken in this regard to prove the allegations and the Department will not spare those found guilty of violating the law.

Earlier, the Consultant of Indian Research Institute informed reporters in Aizawl that the Forest Department staff posted in Dampui village killed a goral for celebration of New Year in 2008. In another incident, a forest officer poisoned the fish in Tuirini in February, 2009.

He also said that the labourers engaged by a high official poisoned fish in Tlawng river near Khamrang in February this year. He also alleged that the Department has not taken action against such persons despite clear reports submitted to the PCCF.

Link - http://mizoramexpress.com/index.php/2010/06/mizoram-govt-to-take-action-against-poachers/

Sabyasachi Patra
30-06-2010, 06:40 PM
This is shocking to say the least. Ofcourse, I have known forest guards etc being on the look out for a deer or sambar kill to retrieve the hind portion for their own meals, however this case of poisoning of fish and killing gorals exceed all.

Since no action has been taken for more than a year, perhaps due to the involvement of high officials, one is likely to take the minister's statement regarding investigations with a pinch of salt. I hope a time frame has been fixed for the investigation. Else, the announcement of investigation is likely to be seen as a diversionary tactic, so often practiced by our politicians. I hope someone can keep us posted about the progress.

Sabyasachi