PDA

View Full Version : From black buck heaven

Satyabrata Mishra
01-07-2010, 06:17 AM
Canon 400D, 100-400 L Is, f7.1 ISO100, 1/80

Black bucks of Bhetnai

This small patch of area was having a very few Black bucks and now because of the community conservation effort the number reached aprox 1600.Mass crop raid is giving rise to the man-animal conflict.Stray dogs and road kills are major threats to these schedule 1 animals and attention is required.

In coming days I will post the Behavior and Group formations of this wonderful animal.

Sabyasachi Patra
01-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Nice to see two black buck images made from a thousand odd kilometers apart. I haven't been in this place since a long long time.

Why only ISO 100? Since the shutter speed was 1/80, it would be better to increase the ISO to atleast 200. Even ISO 400 is can be used if the exposure is right. Nice pose. The shadow increases the depth perception. Frontal lighting would have been better in terms of getting details. Each lighting has got its own merits.

Looks like a nice healthy buck. Look forward to the behavioural images as well as more information of the threats and conflicts. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
01-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Nice enviornment photograph. The pose is nice. I agree conservation efforts from local communities is one of the best ways to ensure the safety of the animals.

Look forward to know more about them. Thanks for sharing.

Mohan Raj
02-07-2010, 10:32 AM
It is good know the increase in blackbuck population.

I think forest department will have a management plan for that protected area. Predators like Dholes, Leopards and Tigers can take down the blackbucks as prey. The question is "Do Lakhari Valley Sanctuary have enough predators?"

TFS.

Sabyasachi Patra
17-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Mohan,
No idea how the Lakhari Valley Sanctuary is now. Its been a long time since I have visited there. During my school and college days, we used to go there. Will try to find out the status of predators there.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Sabyasachi Patra
17-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Mohan,
No idea how the Lakhari Valley Sanctuary is now. Its been a long time since I have visited there. During my school and college days, we used to go there. Will try to find out the status of predators there.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi