PDA

View Full Version : Lion tailed macaque

Shaik Hussain
06-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Lion-tailed macaque at Valparai in Anamalai tiger reserve in Coimbatore dist of Tamil Nadu in Western ghats.

Abhishek Jamalabad
07-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Lovely eye contact. The image looks a bit fuzzy though. Could you please provide the equipment and EXIF details too? It would be easier to critique the image.
Look forward to more.

Sabyasachi Patra
07-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Nice pose. I like the eye contact. It seems you were close. I checked the exif details in your image.

You seem to have used a Fuji film S5700 camera. ISO 400, f3.5, 1/150, focal length 6mm. I think 6mm is the widest in this camera. This camera has got a small sensor and to get the focal length interms of 35mm camera, you need to multiply by 4.55. (However, I need to check the details on the crop factor in this camera)

The shutter speed was low to capture subject movement. However, you have used flash here, so that has helped in getting better definition. A higher shutter speed would have been good. Slightly less space at the right and more at the left would have enhanced the composition.

I have heard that these lion tailed macaques have become used to humans. I wish sufficient fruit bearing trees are there for their population increase. In a Lion tailed macaque group, only the dominant female has the right to mate. So other females can't mate. With more of fruit bearing trees and less of disturbance, there can be other groups and the receptive females can breakoff into smaller groups. Hope they continue to survive and thrive.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
07-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Nice eye contact. Seems it was quite close to you. I agree with the above comments. Look forward to more images. Thanks for sharing.

Lakshminarayanan Nataraja
08-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Generally LTMs are very shy creatures. In case of Valparai LTMs, a highway cut through their home and they are accustomed to thousands of vehicles that passby.

The forest in which they are (Puthuthottam RF) is abound with fruit bearing trees like Cullenia sp., Artocarpus hetrophyllus etc. One of the major concerns for them is break of canopy due to road widening which forces them to cross the road and thereby getting accustomed with people.

If canopy is re-established they will not descend unnecessarily.

Bibhav Behera
08-07-2010, 03:20 PM
I like the wide angle view here. The composition works for me. Using a negative flash compensation would have reduced the flashed out look. Thanks for sharing.

Shaik Hussain
09-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Yes you are right this image is from Anamalai tiger reserve in Tamil Nadu it is from Puthuthotam a small fragmented Tropical rainforest patch located 2 kms before Valparai on Pollachi- Valparai main road, generally LTM group size is from 18 to 40 but here there are two groupa one with 86 and the second with 32 in their numbers not only spaace constrains there are other problems for this arboreal primate which is endemic to Western Ghats of India only in Tamil Nadu, Kerla and Karnataka, Food scarcity, Inbreeding and there are other factors which are pushing this animal towards the brink of extinction day by day. The private company which is holding this forest patch is applying from almost 25 years to clear this patch of rain forest to change it in to Tea plantations, I had posted this image to make you atention about the fate of LTM's in Anamali Tiger Reserve.
And about my image I used a Fuji film S5700 camera with an ISO 400, f3.5, 1/150, focal length 6mm.

V S Sankar
11-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Nice image.Good sharpness.I dont know whether avoiding flash would have been nice.Good information on their mating habits.Thanks Sabya.

Over all good photo.

Regards