PDA

View Full Version : Elephant charge II

Sabyasachi Patra
13-07-2010, 09:52 AM
From the same series as the previous elephant charge shot in Bandipur.

Canon EOS 1D Mark II, Canon EF 300mm F4 L IS USM, ISO 200, f4, 1/200, handheld, full frame image

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
13-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Nice action captured. The details on the skin are nice. I liked the way the dust is flowing on its back. You framed it nicely within the 300mm restriction. Thanks for sharing.

Chitrita Chatterjee
13-07-2010, 04:20 PM
wow..... the lady shows a lot of spirit here....
the wrinkles show up wonderfully... and the little flowers at her feet tel another story....
love this one....

V S Sankar
13-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Nice and sharp action packed image.I dont know whether you were forced to take this picture so close or it was your choice?

I dont know whether some more space on all sides would have given more power to the image.Good work again.

Regards

Sabyasachi Patra
13-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Sankar,
Photography and filming is all about communication. You have to decide what you want to show to the audience and accordingly use a lens.

In the past I have clicked elephant charging images with intermediate tele lenses ie. from 60mm till 135mm. In this series of images, the elephant is also close and with the longer focal length of a 300mm, you get a feel that you are about to be trampled. The partly raised feet indicates that.

I was not prepared for the elephant to charge, else, I would have changed the 400mm in my other body (1D Mark IV) to a 24-70 f2.8 L lens. A slightly wider focal length, say a 200mm would have ensured space all around, however, not sufficient to given an environmental image. However, when you are telling a complete story, you need different focal lengths to portray different action. I will post a few with wide angle as well, so that overall a person gets an idea. This technique is used mostly in filming, where you take a wide establishing shot, a medium shot and a close up.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Bibhav Behera
14-07-2010, 07:48 AM
I like the details on the trunk and on the front legs. I personally prefer the previous image in the series. :)
Thanks for sharing.