PDA

View Full Version : Black Buck: Bachelor Herd of all males

Satyabrata Mishra
20-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Taken with Canon 400D 100-400 L IS Lens
SS:1/2000s, F4.5, ISO 400, AP, F Length 100mm
This photograph is of the bachelor herd of all male members.

There are 5 different categories of herd structures and social groupings of black bucks.
1 Mixed herd formed by males and females of different age groups.
2 Harem herd or territorial herd with one territorial male and females with all age groups.
3 Bachelor herd of all male members.
4 Herd of all female groups.
5 Lone adult male (wandering).

Mrudul Godbole
20-07-2010, 07:05 PM
The habitat is nice. You could have tried using a narrower aperture like f8. Its nice to see all of them moving in the same direction. Thanks for sharing the information. Look forward to more.

Praveen Siddannavar
21-07-2010, 08:18 AM
Lovely image, the habitat is portrayed nicely. where is this photographed?
tfs

Satyabrata Mishra
21-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Sorry friends. I forgot to mention the area name.This is actually in Ganjam District of Orissa State.This region is almost inside the human habitat with a huge grassland lined with some small hills.

One can reach this place from Bhubaneswar by road....170 kms.
from Berhampur..to Aska(45 kms.)then to Bhetnoi..15kms.

One can go from Balugaon also which is 60kms from Balugaon.

There is a tremendous scope of outing which to me can be a great opportunity to this area.

1. Bhubaneswar....Mangalajodi....Dhani Community Forest....Bhetnoi

2.Bhetnai....chilika .....mangalajodi.....Dhani....Bhubaneswar

Photography opportunity includes Migratory and Resedential Birds at Mangalajodi, Gaurs, birds, butterflies in dhani, fruitbats, Breeding White bellied sea eagle, and Blackbucks. Also I have witnessed a single Egyptian vulture in Bhetnai along with some Brahminy Kite.

Explore this area in coming winter.I welcome you all to this wonderland.

Sabyasachi Patra
21-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Good information. The habitat gives a good idea about the place. This place till sometime back was not known to people outside Odisha. I hope all such places are documented well.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Bibhav Behera
21-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Nice image. The habitat is displayed well. Odisha is a huge storehouse of natural beauty. So many areas are undocumented and perhaps hold many endangered species without people's knowledge.
Just the other day, I was talking to Mr. Manoj Nair (IFS and a well known bird researcher), who has documented the Blue-eared kingfisher in Similipal for the first time. It was earlier known to be found in the Western Ghats, North-East and the Andamans. This just shows that how much of stuff is still undiscovered in the state. It definitely is a state where wildlife can often be seen in its most pristine state.