Dr. Kalpamoi Kakati
15-08-2010, 10:05 PM
500D
1/400
f5.6
1250 ISO
Handheld
Cropped

shot in dappled light in a highly overcast condition.

Sabyasachi Patra
16-08-2010, 09:38 AM
In bird photography, the best lighting condition is frontal lighting. The reason being the details in the eyes come better in frontal lighting ie. when the Sun is behind your shoulders.

Side lighting brings out the form well. However, the details in the face don't come out well due to the shadows.

Subject a bit larger in the frame would be good. Also, it would have been nice if the branch were not bent towards you. That portion in the foreground is distracting a bit.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
16-08-2010, 01:25 PM
It was difficult to photograph in the light. I agree some light on the eyes would have been great. If possible moving a bit more to the left to avoid the bending branch directly infront of you would have enhanced the composition further. Thanks for sharing.

Dr. Kalpamoi Kakati
16-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks both of you for your comments.Actually this Indian Robin is too sensitive a bird to shoot.It never really allows you to come closer . I hesitated to move sideways to avoid that branch in the front,as it would have made the bird to fly off. Subject smaller in the frame ,because it was shot from quiet a distance with 300mm only haha.To much cropping will ,on the otherhand, make the picture bit noisier.

Abhishek Jamalabad
16-08-2010, 07:43 PM
The lighting looks tough. Agree about the branch. I think the highlights on the branch have been blown.