PDA

View Full Version : Protection - Mudumalai 2005

Steve Lockett
26-08-2010, 12:46 AM
Nikon D70
Tamron 28-200mm (I think, I no longer have that lens)
f8
Aperture Priority
Shutter speed not recorded
ISO 200

My driver was not the most animal aware, but did spot this little family group at least. I grabbed a couple of shots before the driver and 'Forest Guide' wanted a shot of them posing between the car and the elephants! Sometimes I despair :ohmy:

Luckily they dropped us at the forest rest house and left us alone for a couple of days so we could drink in the surroundings in peace.

Praveen Siddannavar
26-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Nice image Steve, looks like it was shot in summer and also the light seems a bit harsh.
tfs

Mrudul Godbole
26-08-2010, 01:23 PM
The composition is nice. I agree, the light seems a bit harsh. The little fellow in the middle is nicely protected :). Thanks for sharing.

Steve Lockett
26-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Yes, it was shot about 11am. Not much choice over that at the time.

Sabyasachi Patra
27-08-2010, 05:43 PM
It is always nice feeling watching elephants protect their young. I have seen many people trying to pose before elephants. A few even try to offer bananas to elephants. Unfortunately, elephants are blamed despite the tremendous restraint displayed by the elephants.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Steve Lockett
27-08-2010, 05:48 PM
hear, hear.

I'm not sure you can ever blame the animals.
I was in a jeep when the Forest Official goaded an elephant into charging us! Then he was upset when we wouldn't give him a tip! :sad:

Bibhav Behera
27-08-2010, 09:13 PM
An intimate image. Bummer about the light. Sad that forest officials themselves do such stuff...

V S Sankar
27-08-2010, 11:24 PM
The elephants are also looking very sad! I dont know the reason.May be one of the following;

1.The bananas are not enough
2.You set out on a safari close to noon!
3.You are using a Tamron lens on a Nikon camera!
4.You didnt stand between the jeeep and the elepahants for a photo!
5.You are posting their pictures after a long 5 years!

Regards

Steve Lockett
06-09-2010, 09:27 PM
:thumbup1: VS, I like your sense of humour.

I guess they just didn't like my driver, but they could have spotted the lens mismatch.