PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Adjutant Stork

Dr. Kalpamoi Kakati
28-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Shot at Nagaon ,Assam. Also called "BORTOKOLA" in Assam.

Sabyasachi Patra
29-08-2010, 10:35 AM
The colour looks good. I am afraid this looks more like painting due to the large crop and possibly noise reduction taking away details.

Is this the place where hundreds of these storks visit a garbage dump?

Praveen Siddannavar
29-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Nice image and colors, however there is loss of details.
tfs

Bibhav Behera
29-08-2010, 11:18 AM
I agree with Sabyasachi on the comments. I would reduce the saturation as well. Thanks for sharing.

Mrudul Godbole
29-08-2010, 11:54 AM
The eye contact is nice. The vertical composition looks good. Agree about reducing the saturation. Thanks for sharing.

Dr. Kalpamoi Kakati
29-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Thanks. @ Sabyasachi -This is a full frame image.This is a usual scene in Assam during monsoon season where you see 2-3 storks in a large area of paddy fields . Not in Garbage Dump.This was the only stork standing in a large paddy field.I am yet to see hundreds of Storks together in Assam ha ha. I saw many of these together only in Safari World,Bangkok.
Kalpa.

Sabyasachi Patra
30-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Dr Kakati,
This cannot be a full frame image as the image posted is 503 pix by800pix. So definitely this is a cropped image.

There is hardly any details in the subject. So my assumption is that this is a big crop.

The lens used is 300mm, and I certainly don't expect a full frame image with a 300mm lens (I am assuming the bird being in a paddy field you were walking towards it). If at all, then it would be a pretty tame bird. There can be a possibility, however, the previous two points made me comment that this is a cropped image.

You have used ISO 500. Did you do any kind of noise reduction?

There is a garbage dump near Guwahati where you can find nearly 100 odd adjutant storks. Will try to find the exact name of the place later.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi
PS: I am told that the @ sign is used by people in online discussions. However, I feel the @ sign can be read as disrespectful (not that you meant it here). It would be good if we can refrain from using the @ sign in discussions.

Dr. Kalpamoi Kakati
31-08-2010, 12:26 AM
Hi Sabyasachi
My image are set to be resized automatically with longer edge 800 pix while exporting from lightroom.Probably that is reason behind 800x503 pix. ya, I have done a bit of noise reduction.You are absolutely right that the bird was tame,as it hardly showed any kind of fear or alertness when i went very close to it and took the snap.I will find out the name of that dump. Your point regarding use of @ sign will be kept in mind in future discussions :).

Kalpa

Sabyasachi Patra
31-08-2010, 12:28 PM
I would prefer details over noise. Just play with the noise reduction slider and you will realise that the noise reduction removes lot of details. It is better to be careful while using any incamera high iso noise reduction or noise reduction during post processing.