PDA

View Full Version : Dhole...Posing

Udai Bisht
28-02-2009, 07:13 AM
Took this shot during my recent trip to Nagarhole National Park. I somehow don't like this shot very much as it reminds me of shots taken during a dog show. Would it have been better had I waited and clicked the pic when the Dhole was either walking or running?

450D
100-400 L IS USM
f/6.3
1/100

Sabyasachi Patra
01-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Udai,
I agree that behavioural shots have more impact than the animal looking. In wildlife photography either you click a photo of a Yeti (the legendary snowman, often talked about but no one has seen) then it doesn't matter whether it is standing, sleeping or just staring. However for all other subjects, we need to try to show them in a different perspective. So it is important to catch them displaying some rare behaviour or creating an image with a common behaviour but photographing in a different manner.

If you can spend time with any subject, then you get to see important behaviour. I am not sure if it would be possible in Kabini, as there would be other people in the vehicle and they would be raring to drive all over the jungle, as they are hardly bothered to just wait near a dhole (often referred to as a wild dog). When one hears the word wild dog, naturally they will feel why to waste time with a dog. :-)

I like the composition. Unfortunately, the angle is too steep. Images from Kabini mostly lack impact as you shoot from a high angle.

Udai Bisht
02-03-2009, 06:52 AM
Thanks Sabyasachi for your insightful comments. I totally agree that it's really hard to be able to spend some extra time with subject. Most of the time if you want to wait a little while longer, you can feel the restlessness all over the jeep. This is particularly true if the subject happens to be a bird! :)