PDA

View Full Version : tiger roars....

Bhargava Srivari
12-09-2010, 01:02 PM
The male tiger in the pic was seen panting heavily while resting under a lantanna bush in bandipura( moolapura road)..

canon 450D
EF 70-300mm
focal length: 130mm
ISO 1600; f/20
white balance: cloudy

Mrudul Godbole
12-09-2010, 01:52 PM
I think this is Agastya. Nice relaxed pose. The eye contact is nice. I think you could have used a wider aperture like f8 and so a lower ISO like ISO 800 would have also sufficed. Any particular reason for using f20? What was the shutter speed? Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
12-09-2010, 02:23 PM
You got the tiger in the clear. Nice angle as well.

Was it shot in raw or jpeg?

Same question here: Why f20?

At narrow apertures images become soft. This is due to diffraction. The aperture at which diffraction sets in and starts degrading the image quality at the pixel level is known as diffraction limited aperture. This diffraction limited aperture becomes wider and wider as more and more pixels are stuffed in a sensor. When I was shooting with a Canon EOS 10D, I first became aware that narrow apertures are impacting the sharpness.

The diffraction limited aperture for the EOS 450D is 8.4
For 500D and 50D it is 7.6
for 550D and 7D it is 6.8
For 40 D and 1000D it is 9.3

Does this mean one should not use narrow apertures? One can use apertures near to these ones and get sharp images. However, if you use much more narrow apertures beyond the range like f20 etc, then the sharpness gets impacted.

Also there are other parameters for image sharpness. So one should take care of those. For eg. one has to take care of shutter speed. Narrow aperture results in lower shutter speed. So one should be careful that the low shutter speed does not induce shake as well as fail to capture slight subject movement.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Praveen Siddannavar
13-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Nice sighting, the colors looks orange. Agree with Sabyasachi and Mrudul
tfs

Roopak Gangadharan
15-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Useful information on diffraction limited aperture. I had no idea about this.Thanks sir...