PDA

View Full Version : Streak-Throated Woodpecker (Male)

Praveen Siddannavar
14-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Shot this in Bandipur over the weekend...

Camera Model Canon EOS 7D, 500mm
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/320
Av( Aperture Value ) 4
ISO 400
Focal length 500mm
Cropped for composition
Bean Bag support

Amit Kalele
14-09-2010, 02:20 PM
beautiful shot. moving little to your left would led to more of woodpecker in the frame but its hard in real time to make these positional changes, unless guy stays long enough :)

Sabyasachi Patra
14-09-2010, 03:44 PM
I agree. These guys keep on moving up and around the tree trunk that it is actually not easy to move the vehicle for the optimal position. I would prefer using a higher ISO here to get a higher shutter speed. It becomes difficult to arrest the subject motion at slower shutter speeds. Wish you had better light. The background has come out well. Less space at the bottom would have been even better. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
14-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Difficult bird to photograph. I still have not got a decent photograph of this bird :(. The eye contact is nice. The composition looks good. Thanks for sharing.

Dr. Kalpamoi Kakati
14-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Nice photo.Colors have come out well.Difficult bird to shoot as Mrudul has said.Thanks for sharing.

Kalpa

Bibhav Behera
14-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Nice Image. I agree with the composition suggestions. Even I have just got record shots of this guy. Nothing worth sharing... Tough birds to get.

Sabyasachi Patra
15-09-2010, 09:45 PM
You have to decide whether to go in search of tigers or wait for these birds. Most of the time we move ahead and don't spare much time in getting a good shot of these fellows. That is why despite being more visible, most of the time people don't have good shots.

Praveen Siddannavar
16-09-2010, 06:11 PM
"You have to decide whether to go in search of tigers or wait for these birds. Most of the time we move ahead and don't spare much time in getting a good shot of these fellows. That is why despite being more visible, most of the time people don't have good shots."

Sabyasachi is this Ques for me or Mrudul:confused1:

In my case if we are sure to see the tiger then obviously I would wait otherwise I would like to ensure I capture everything possible while in the wild.

However my observations in Ranthambhore is that the naturalist/drivers don't wait and allow us sufficient time to photgraph birds or other mammals, the focus is only Tigers.
I am not sure if you too have expereinced this, but in both my trips I had the same problem.

Mrudul Godbole
16-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Praveen, I think what Sabysachi said is for me. I agree mostly I have not waited to get a decent photograph of this bird. Maybe in my next trip to Bandipur I will make it a point to wait and photograph it.

I agree in Ranathambore the drivers and the guides were more foccused on tigers than anything else. I missed a couple of occasions to photograph birds, as by the time I would ask them to stop, we would have moved quite far :(.