PDA

View Full Version : Pelican Taking Flight

Ranbir Mahapatra
02-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Canon eos 400D, Sigma 120-400mm lens.
f5.6, 1/800, ISO200.
Time; Around 11:00am, by that time, the the light conditions were already harsh.

Place: nelapattu.

Mrudul Godbole
02-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Hi,

Sharp image.
I would have liked to see more water on the right side of the image. You could have tried having a little more space on the right to include more water. It would have enhanced the image further.

Nice moment captured.

Rajan Kanagasabai
03-03-2009, 06:00 AM
Nice shot

I am surprised that there is very little wing blur even at a low 1/800 shutter speed. Did you sharpen during PP ?

Rajan

Sabyasachi Patra
03-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Rajan,
The wing blur is not visible as the wing tips are bent and are virtually at a right angle to the wing. Unfortunately, a higher shutter speed is not possible at ISO 200 in Nelapattu. Underexposing darkens the background terribly. With the 400D I wouldn't go for higher ISOs.

In this image, the Pelican was taking off. So the water droplets and the splash are an integral part of the image. I agree that a bit more space behind the pelican would have shown us more of the water and hence it would have been further strengthened the image. However, all credit to him for capturing this one. There was one small opening. I had parked my tripod and camera and had taken up a major part of the space. So I am happy that he could squeeze himself into the small space available and capture this scene.